FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended BG Format/s to Minimize Slow FPS?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Knight
Recommended BG Format/s to Minimize Slow FPS?
on Nov 16, 2009 at 9:33:35 pm

Alan,

First, while belated:

Congratulations on GenArts thing -- hopefully this means your creative genius can be more dedicated to creating even more awesome emitters, leaving behind the layers of chores that come with being CEO anymore. PI is unique in the industry.

OK, on to Q.
_________

System: PI 3.04 on XP Home 32 bit, Pentium D, as much RAM as one can squeeze out on a 32 bit system. Hardware acceleration: on.

NLE: Vegas Pro 8c.
Project resolution: HD (1440 x 1080)

I've followed enough threads here on the subject of drawing speed in PI and know there are several factors that can cause way-too-slow fps. It sometimes gets so slow, I get bummed out :)

This is because I use sparkles and other effects that require a lot of vector power. Aside from your previous suggestion on working with short segments, the background image is also a factor.

You mentioned using PNG sequences instead of AVI in one recent thread -- but Vegas doesn't allow me to render in PNG (though I could import the AVI into PI, render it without emitters and re-import into PI). I haven't tried that yet but should.

For now, I use WMV since they are far smaller than even a compressed AVI. But it still gets way too slow (probably due to type of emitters used).

So there may be no silver bullet here, but got any additional thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
Re: Recommended BG Format/s to Minimize Slow FPS?
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:59:57 pm

Bump.

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:01:28 am

Could someone please have the courtesy to reply to this?
Thank you :)

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:56:59 pm

I rarely use WMV, as I think the pI3 support for it isn't too great. If Vegas really can't render PNG (for some reason I think I've done that before), then try DivX or HuffYUV for AVI. You may want to try that anyway based on the next sentence...

In pI3 if you're using a non-DV AVI, try unchecking the "use new method of loading AVIs" option in Preferences.

If you're using a 64-bit Windows OS, pI3 may just be really slow when using *any* bg images, as has been pointed out in other threads.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:44:35 pm

OK, thanks for info.

I'm pretty certain I can't render PNGs in VP8 for I checked before I posted this question. I'll try the non-AVI option suggestion for WMV.

I use WMV mainly because of I figured that the smaller the BK vid file, the better. Which brings me back to that you have mentioned in the past to not to use uncompressed BK files. My guess is that one reason is simply read/write: huge files = slow read/play.

As far as using Huffy or Sony lossless codecs, I find the files are still large. Smaller than uncompressed but not tiny. Maybe I need to do some real "draft" super-compressed ones or something.

Segments or scenes sizes causing slow-down?
Yup and/but:

My PI outputs are usually at least 1000-2000 PNGs. Which comes back to "work on short" segments. However my work is more in the slow-motion, mellow, not MTV editing style, so segments are going to be longer. But may still have to find a work around if shorter = faster BKs.

Is it a system processor muscle problem?
I don't think so:

I built my Pentium D 2.8 Ghz. system a few short months before Duo came out (funny how that happens, eh? :( But it's still a respectable system, just runs hotter than newer dual cores. I have the side open during high CPU usage with a 7 inch fan blowing in.

Bottom Line

PI is how I have been able to translate my former still "signature" visual style into video, so I'd better solve or at least improve this slow-go BK vid thing one way or another.

I'll just have to keep plugging away at it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]