FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting star emitter?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Del
Shooting star emitter?
on Sep 19, 2009 at 3:43:00 pm

Suggestions on a shooting star emitter? I just need one star to streak across the night sky. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
Re: Shooting star emitter?
on Sep 19, 2009 at 7:56:23 pm

I can't think of one that is ready-made off-hand (other here may). What I do when I have a certain idea of what I'd like to pull off is to go view all the emitters that have some element similar to what I'll wanting to create.

In this case, I'd look at all the sparkles and star-type ones keeping in mind that I can tweak these down to a single particle, then add the the tail/streak effect from some other emitter or just changing other aspects or properties of the emitter, etc.

PI is very versatile, IMO. I've never used a PI emitter as-is--I'm always doing rather extensive DIY tweaking* in how I want it to look before I get into laying out its path of action, so to speak. (* Since my past pro background includes design, it's kind of an "artiste's compulsion" too :)

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
Don't mention it!
on Oct 4, 2009 at 10:29:40 am

You're welcome, any time, not a problem, think nothing of it, happy to help, no thanks necessary, forgetaboutit............

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
Re: Shooting star emitter?
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:53:08 am

David, maybe Steven Spielberg has a copyright on that effect? :)

But anyway, until the boys come up with one, here's one way to get something that almost kinda sorta looks like a shooting star if you squint your eyes and hold your mouth just right.

Load the "Alan 01.01" library, open "fun with lines", then select "meteor shower". Try applying the following settings, in the left window as well as the Properties dialogue:

Life = 200+
Number = 0 to 10 (the fewer the better)
Size = 240
Velocity = 40 to 50
Active to frame 63
angle = 0
Emission range = 150
Visibility = At 100 until about 57, then drop sharply to be zero at 63.

In Properties;

Keep particles in order.
Oldest in front
attach to emitter
Specify
Change colour range to blue or white/blu.

Now, those settings are just approximate and some of them may not even be necessary. But I was experimenting with all the knobs and taking notes and it was a lot of trial and error, so I can't guarantee what you'll get. Also, the final result I got was very short, brief, and not very impressive. But maybe that's the best for what is usually a very brief barely visible phenomena anyway.

Good luck
Kurt.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]