FORUMS: list search recent posts

Television white dot.

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Muller
Television white dot.
on Sep 15, 2009 at 12:41:13 am

Guys, I was just over at the Premiere forum and someone asked how to create the effect that happens in old black and white television sets when you turn them off - you know, the picture instantly shrinks to a horizontal white line, then gradually shrinks further to a white dot midle of screen, then that dot fades.

Just a thought for a possible future emitter. Like you haven't got enough ideas already! :)

Kurt.

Return to posts index

Ra-ey Saleh
Re: Television white dot.
on Sep 15, 2009 at 4:42:50 am

There's an AE tutorial here, which you should be able to easily adapt for your NLE, I know I did for Avid.
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/tv_on_off.php

Ra-ey

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Sep 15, 2009 at 5:35:40 am

Yes, I've watched that tutorial, Ra-ey. It's not bad, but it doesn't show exactly how TVs used to switch off. (Trust me, I know. I was 14 when TV first started in my State, back in ancient times.)

I recall the horizontal line used to be much smoother than the tutorial shows, and was tapered at each end, slightly bulging in the middle. It used to shrink at a decellerating rate, rather than as an instant snap to a line. And the bright dot in the middle didn't have any "flare halo", it was just a very bright pinpoint spot of glowing light.

Anyway, maybe the best way to get it is to find someone with a 1956 TV set!!

But I'm sure the effect could be perfectly mimicked by a particle emmitter. Made for the job! :)

Thanks, anyway.

Kurt.

Return to posts index

Ra-ey Saleh
on Sep 15, 2009 at 5:44:49 am

I know what you mean, but that can surely be keyframed relatively easily if you can warp a DVE in your NLE.
It's really to taste, I think.

Ra-ey

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Sep 15, 2009 at 9:46:01 am

It will probably get down to that, Ra-ey. But I am surprised nobody has built that effect already. It's a thing that most Boomers would be very well-acquainted with. And we're very fussy about getting our vintage memories just right! :)

Kurt.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]