FORUMS: list search recent posts

The big question.

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Muller
The big question.
on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:24:31 pm

Since getting PI, plus a 3D modelling app called Truespace, I've bitten the bullet and decided to move away from my old eMac/iMovie, (which has served me well), and move up to video editing on a PC.

Some people might call that a retrograde move, since Apple is pretty much the leader in graphics software.

But unfortunately, they're also the most expensive, and I don't want to get Final Cut or similar, and have to shell out for another Mac.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for the best video editing software for PCs. Got to be affordable, but a tad above entry level. I've heard... things ...about Pinnacle, so I'm looking elsewhere.

I read a lot of references to Sony Vegas* here, and I've downloaded the demo. But to be honest, it doesn't look all that appealing. A bit "dry", if that's the word. After the in-your-face simplicity of iMovie, it looks about as exciting as an accountant's spreadsheet!

So, can anyone recommend a good, friendly, affordable PC video editing App for PCs?

Thanks,
Kurt.

Return to posts index

Ra-ey Saleh
Re: The big question.
on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:46:54 pm

Avid Media Composer...
If you're a student you can buy it for around US$250!
An absolute steal and it is the industry standard.

Ra-ey

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:53:31 pm

Avid. Yes, I've heard of it.

Thanks, Ra-ey, I'll check it out. Hope there's an entry level version, 'cause it's a loooong time siunce I was a student!! :)

Cheers,
Kurt.

Return to posts index

Lee Brennan
on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:48:05 pm

Hi,
I use Premiere Pro CS3, AE CS3, and Sony Vegas Pro 8c. AE isn't really an NLE so I won't discuss that here. Between PP CS3 and Vegas: they are both fine video editors but I find myself using Vegas a lot more. Don't let the interface fool you. It's an incredibly powerful program. Those are the only two that I'm familiar with. PP CS3 integrates (obviously )easier with AE but it's easy enough to use with Vegas.

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:57:00 pm

I'll take a look at Premier first,Leee, and then Vegas. Won't be needing AE. Wish I could justify it, though!!

I've read a bit about Vegas, and as I said I'm currently trialling it. But man, it's hard to get into. Maybe once I get a handle on it...

Cheers,
Kurt

Return to posts index

Mats Lundgren
on Aug 21, 2009 at 9:48:35 am

I run Edius 4.61, they have a 30 day vr 5.00 trial on their site

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Aug 21, 2009 at 10:18:56 am

I hadn't heard of that one, Mats, so I googled it. I may be wrong, but I think it may be just a tad too much editor for the likes of me. Looks like a professional's tool. I'm very much an amateur.

But thanks for the tip. I'll take a good look at it tomorrow and see what it's all about.

Return to posts index

Lee Brennan
on Aug 22, 2009 at 2:37:51 pm

Hi,
Any pro app will seem daunting to someone used to IMovie or MovieMaker. Check out the "lite" versions of some of the pro apps (Premiere Elements; Edius Neo2; Vegas Movie Studio, etc.).

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Aug 23, 2009 at 12:27:39 am

You got that right, Lee!! Although I've never used MovieMaker, I have used iMovie 4 for a long time. Got dozens of plugins for it, but rarely use them.

Anyway, yesterday I bought Premier Elements 7 and Photoshop Elements 7 as a package and I'm pretty sure they'll do the trick for me, (I trialled Vegas but frankly it baffled me.)

Thanks to you and everyone for the responses.

Cheers,
Kurt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]