FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a specific type of flame !

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Rotter
Creating a specific type of flame !
on Aug 18, 2009 at 1:53:23 am

I've installed the trial version of Particle Illusion and I must say the power in this program is incredible yet it's so simple. So simple in fact I don't fully know how to use it :)

I'm trying to achieve the look of flames as in flames you'd see in a fireplace. After adjust various settings and creating my own particle emitter image I can't seem to get anywhere, help would be appreciated. As well as does particle illusion have a user guide?

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
Re: Creating a specific type of flame !
on Aug 18, 2009 at 5:04:17 am

Christopher, if you're talking about SE, I'm pretty sure a manual is included in the download demo. I'm a newbie myself, and I can't recall whether the manual came with the demo, or with the activated version. I was too preoccupied "playing" with the new toy to notice!

If not, there are plenty of tutorials here.

http://www.wondertouch.com/quickstart.asp

The demo version comes with a default library of emitters, one of which is called "flames". It may be a bit intense for a fireplace, but it's easy to adjust all the settings for any emitter.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:58:14 am

Thank you for the link, but even after adjusting the settings for that one preset, which I've already done I can't get the look of fire that you'd see in a fireplace. Do you have any tips or what have you ?

I was hoping for a PDF manual on particle illusion.

Return to posts index

John Holste
on Aug 18, 2009 at 1:46:03 pm

Christopher,

did you try the menu item Help->Help Topics?

As far as flames goes download all the emitter libraries using Help->Check for Updates... launch particleView( pView should have been included in your download from wondertouch.com ) and then hit the "S" key and Search for "Fire" or "Flames" or any other key word that might make sense for your effect. In pView you might have to add a path to your newly downloaded emitters, then restart pView.

John

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:54:00 pm

Is there a way to download the emitters, if your using a computer not connected to the internet ?

Return to posts index

John Holste
on Aug 18, 2009 at 3:20:33 pm

Christopher,

I would say no as "to download" infers one is connected to a server or some sort of repository of information.

I have no idea of your current setup so it is hard to give you a "way" to download without being connected to the internet. However, you could go to your local library and download to a thumb drive, some schools have night classes where you can have access to a internet connected computer or heck ask a buddy to download and burn a CD.

John

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Aug 18, 2009 at 3:28:47 pm

What about emitters that come very close to the flames I'm looking for ? Could you do a favor and download or just send over if they are free anyhow ?

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Aug 19, 2009 at 12:10:57 am

Christopher, it sounds like you're in the same situation as me. I use one of my computers for the Net, and another for all my graphics programs, (and never the twain shall meet). Obviously you have access to at least one computer that's connected to the Net, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get PI in the first place.

You can download the emitters from here and save them to a portable drive, such as a flash card, or even burn them to a CD. Then you can take that drive, connect it to the other computer, and load the libraries into the computer that has PI on it. Install the libraries into the libraries folder and you're done!

I'm almost certain you'll find a "flames" emitter that will serve your purpose. Don't forget, you can have several emitters going at the same time, overlapping to get pretty much any effect you want.

Kurt.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:27:47 pm

You can download the emitters from here and save them to a portable drive, such as a flash card, or even burn them to a CD. Then you can take that drive, connect it to the other computer, and load the libraries into the computer that has PI on it. Install the libraries into the libraries folder and you're done!

You mentioned I could download the libraries from here, where is here :) ?

I'm almost certain you'll find a "flames" emitter that will serve your purpose. Don't forget, you can have several emitters going at the same time, overlapping to get pretty much any effect you want.

I didn't know you can have overlapping emitters, how do you do this ? I never read this in the online manual.

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Aug 20, 2009 at 2:18:24 am

Sorry, Chris, here's the link:

http://www.wondertouch.com/emlibs_30.asp

After you add an emitter to the stage, you can then go and select an additional one and add it right over the top of the first one. Just put the double-circle over the previous one and click to add it.

I think you can add as many as your processor can handle.

Cheers,
Kurt

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:26:53 pm

I was in the same situation as you were Kurt :) It looks like I'm going to have to download both emitter library sets to hopefully find the exact one I'm looking for :(

So you are positive there is no PDF userguide or some simple tutorial that explains enough to get you going on your own without having to resort back to a user guide ? :)

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Aug 23, 2009 at 6:42:42 am

Yes, Chris, that's the only way. But believe me, it's time well-spent!

Here's a link to the Wondersoft page where there are some simple "getting started" instructions.

http://www.wondertouch.com/pillusionSE-3.asp

I'm almost certain you would have got a manual when you downloaded the demo. It's not a long-winded, complex tome; far from it. It's actually quite straightforward and will get you up and running immediately.

Matter of fact, it looked so simple that I didn't bother reading it all through, with the result that I had to post a few dumb questions after struggling a bit.

Fortunately, Alan and the other guys here have a lot of patience. :)

Cheers,
Kurt.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Sep 1, 2009 at 12:51:14 am

I haven't got around to getting those emitters, until now :( Although I read that manual link that you gave and I realized that I pretty much had it figured out from the time I installed the demo :) Now I'm going to download those emitters and hope I get that effect of flames I'm after. I hope if I don't you or someone else could offer a hand but I have confidence that I'll get it, just as a backup :)

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:25:28 am

I'd be glad to help if I can, Chris. Just remember that the guys who really know what they're talking about are Alan Lorence and the other company guys here.

But I think you'll probably figure it out for yourself anyway.

When you do, how about showing me how to do it? :)

Cheers,
Kurt.

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:48:19 pm

I just wanted to mention that I've downloaded one of the presets and played around with Particle illusion the other day and I have made progress. Although a PDF as mentioned for particle illusion would be benificial, how do you make a brush as seen in particle illusion ?

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Sep 5, 2009 at 12:22:23 am

Chris,

I gather you're either using someone else's computer for Web browsing and want PDF tutorials so you can copy them and read them on your own computer - or you just don't like learning from video tutorials! Am I right? :)

Personally, I prefer videos because you can see what happens. But to each his own.

Glad to hear you're picking it up. Good way to learn, too. Trial and error.

When you say "brushes", I take it you mean "particle shapes"? If so, here's a link to a tutorial about making those little critters in Photoshop. You can probably make them in other graphics apps, too.

This one is a text-based tutorial. Below is the link.

http://www.wondertouch.com/tutorials.asp

Return to posts index

Christopher Rotter
on Sep 5, 2009 at 11:12:25 pm

I gather you're either using someone else's computer for Web browsing and want PDF tutorials so you can copy them and read them on your own computer - or you just don't like learning from video tutorials! Am I right? :)

I prefer the PDF files so I can read them whenever and you are right one of my computers that I use for all my work is not linked to the Internet, I don't mind video tutorials I've watched enough of them on various graphic related subjects but I like to try the PDF manual first :)

Particle Shapes that is what I was referring too, thank you for that link. Although I think I hit the nail perfectly and got my desired effect. Good to know how to create other particle shapes for other projects. Particle illusion is such a easy, effective program to create any kind of flames, smoke effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]