FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fireworks to form a word

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Huggett
Fireworks to form a word
on Jan 23, 2009 at 5:19:12 am

Hi guys

My boss has asked me to try and make fireworks explode to form a 3 letter word.

We have PI3 although i am not that advanced on it yet. Can anyone please point me in the right direction how i can accomplish this.

Thanks alot

C

Return to posts index

Kevin Marlatt
Re: Fireworks to form a word
on Jan 23, 2009 at 2:43:12 pm

You could make a PNG of your word with the text as the transparent part and place it on top of your array of fireworks. Or a sequence where the letters expand as the fireworks explode.

Return to posts index

Kevin Marlatt
on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:51:09 am

In reply to my first reply, I got to thinking that I would like to know how to do this, too. So after experimenting for a while, I came up with a solution. It may have been covered in other posts, or it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is a way to fill text with particles. I use Corel Photo Paint for still editing. I'm not familiar with Photoshop, but the concepts should be the same. These are the steps I took to make a waterfall form some text in Pi3:

1. Create a text object on a background that is 720x486 pixels. 486 is to make sure that the edges of a 720x480 movie are covered.
2. Center your object so it will paste into the next step centered.
3. Copy and paste it into a new background with no background, ie. onto a transparent background, of the same size.
4. Create a mask from the object and keep the object selected.
5. Invert the mask so that the mask will cover everything BUT the object.
6. Feather the mask from the inside a little, otherwise you end up with a hairline outline when added to Pi3 as a layer. This will make the edges a little fuzzy, though.
7. Save the mask to Alpha channel 1.
8. Save the file as a Photoshop file, (PSD). This will save the alpha or transparency of your text. I couldn't seem to get a PNG to work. Maybe I missed something.
9. Use this file as a layer in Pi3, with your particles underneath on a lower layer. The particles will "form" your text as they emit.

Hope this helps. I know I learned something valuable.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 24, 2009 at 7:56:56 am

Great stuff Kevin!

Have I seen a video/tutorial which explains how to use LETTERS as barriers or something like that? There is one on "Disintegrate a Logo with particleIllusion"

Hmmm.... c'mon Alan, pitch in here . . please?

Grazie

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:55:44 pm

What do you mean by "fireworks explode to form a word"? I'm working on a little video tutorial right now that hopefully is what you want.

I'll post the results when I'm finished.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 24, 2009 at 6:13:51 pm

Ok, the video tutorial has been put on hold, so if you can describe what you want to do in more detail, I'll be able to tell you how to do it.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Chris Huggett
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:58:07 am

Hi Alan

Sorry i have not got back to you earlier.

So I have a still frame of a football stadium, taken from a helicopter. The helicopter is at about a 45 degree angle to the stadium and quite a distance away. He has asked for the fireworks to explode off the ground,and when they reach their intended heights, explode to form the word "luv". I have creative freedom as to how they form. They could be many single fireworks, that do not explode, but emit a bright glow at the top of their ascent. Their could be so many of them that that makes up the word, or one or 3 fireworks could explode to form the outline of the word or each letter. Either way, the letters need to be quite chunky to be obvious what the word is.

Hope that gives you a better idea. Im going to try Kevins idea later tonight. (Thanks Kev)

c.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]