FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does PI calculate the AVI Alpha channel?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sven I. Nilsen
How does PI calculate the AVI Alpha channel?
on Jan 14, 2009 at 12:15:52 am

I have a particle using a 32 bit full color image.
The stage background is black. When rendering out to AVI, and saving the alpha channel, I have problems because both dark parts, and especially black parts of the image also become transparent when imported into my video editing software (Sony Vegas).

What settings should I use to achieve this:
I want the image to remain opaque, regardless of parts of it being dark or black. I want everything outside the image, including the transparent parts of the image, to become transparent.

Return to posts index

Paul Wright
Re: How does PI calculate the AVI Alpha channel?
on Mar 6, 2010 at 2:52:54 pm

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having an issue with the alpha channel as well. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong when overlaying the PNG sequence over my BG video in Vegas. Is there a special setting or compositing mode I need to be in? I'm not sure if my images are 32bit or not, or how that affects things. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sven E. Nilsen
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:24:27 pm

You need to try out the various alpha render settings in PI, and export to various files.
Then you need to take these files into Vegas, and try the various alpha settings for the clip (belongs to properties of the clip)
I cannot remember off the top of my head what is the best, in fact, nothing is "the best". Some settings a fine for intense partices, other settings a fine for more soft particles and so on.

The video tutors that cover PI, especially the one by Ahron Rabinowitz, Particle Illusion Fusion Volume 1, covers this topic.
I purchased the DVD for jsut $10 I think. Look up vieos on creative cow about this topic.
IU cannot help u further bacause I am not in PI right now, but hope that this was some help in any case, good luck!

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Mar 7, 2010 at 12:00:44 pm

If you are in PI, go to help. In tutorial 5, all the alpha channel settings are discussed there.

Theo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]