FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make particle with shadow

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trace Burroughs
How to make particle with shadow
on Dec 5, 2008 at 3:10:31 pm

I've tried to make a particle with it's own shadow like the arrow sample emitter that is part of the Motion Graphics folder in the emitter library. (This is not the same as a logo with a drop shadow)

I tried every conceivalble combinations of layers,no layers, formats in Photoshop and adjusting the transparency a dozen different ways inside of particle illustion but without success.

I looked for a tutorial on this but couldn't find anything. Can you help. Thanks

Tracy Burroughs
Little Men Entertainment
little-men.com/LME.html

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: How to make particle with shadow
on Dec 5, 2008 at 5:08:43 pm

All of the existing shadow images I created in Paintshop Pro. Every time I try to duplicate this technique (I'm trying for the Nov. library) it takes a lot of trial and error for me to remember the one step that makes it all work. So far I haven't remembered. =

I haven't given up though -- am trying in Photoshop too. Once I figure it out I'll be sure to write down the steps. Hope to have it done today so I can finish up a few emitters and release the Nov. library this weekend.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Trace Burroughs
on Dec 5, 2008 at 5:51:06 pm

Thank you. I look forward to learning how.

Trace

Tracy Burroughs
Little Men Entertainment
little-men.com/LME.html

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Dec 5, 2008 at 8:05:53 pm

Ok, in Photoshop this is really simple -- much easier than in Paintshop Pro for the most part.

In this example I'm starting with an image of a snowflake (or whatever) that I've selected (with magic wand or manually) and "Copy" it to clipboard.

1) Select "New" image in PS. It should use the image size from the clipboard. Make sure the background is "transparent".

2) Paste into the new image as a new layer. You should now see a snowflake (or whatever you have) on a transparent background (shown by the checkerboard in PS)

3) Use "canvas size" to make the image square by increasing the smaller of width or height to match the larger value. (For instance if it's 400w x 430h, make it 430w x 430h)

4) Now "image size" to resize to a power of 2: 128, 256, 512. Always resize down for best quality.

5) Now we just need to make the shadow. Duplicate the layer. Select the bottom layer, and select "image - adjustments - exposure". Slide the exposure slider left to blacken the layer. Now use Gaussian blur on the layer to soften it up. Maybe a radius of 13 or so.

That's it for creating the shadow, although you may want to reduce the opacity of the shadow layer a little, or offset the position of the shadow layer a little (but only if all of the particles will be in the same orientation)

6) Save as PNG.

Importing into particleIllusion

A) Once you select the image file and you get the shape import options dialog, don't change any options except click "full-color", then OK to import.

That's it. Maybe there's an easier way to make a drop shadow, but I'm not a PS expert.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Trace Burroughs
on Dec 5, 2008 at 9:43:34 pm

That worked great! Thanks for taking the time to show me.

Trace

Tracy Burroughs
Little Men Entertainment
little-men.com/LME.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]