FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVI and alpha

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Adam
AVI and alpha
on Aug 12, 2008 at 6:06:30 pm

Hi, I'm new to this and Particle Illusion.

I've been reading that one is not allowed to use .AVI and alpha together in an export. That I have to export as .PNG or such in order to include and alpha channel.

My question is that I usually pick uncompressed AVI as my file export, and then that allows me to include an Alpha channel, and then I just import into Adobe Premier and work with it like any other file. Alpha included. Is there something wrong with using uncompressed AVI from the export options? Is it a size issue? (I noticed the file is 10 times as large than a DV AVI with no alpha channel)?

And forgive my ignorance, I'm just a composition guy, not a tech guy. Still trying to figure it out and pull my weight around here.

Thanks for letting me know.
-Matt

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: AVI and alpha
on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:27:33 pm

That was true in older versions, but AVI can use alpha now (if you're using 3.0.2 or newer).

Also, don't use uncompressed AVI. Use a lossless codec like Huffyuv or Lagarith. They work better in pIllusion, and they take up less drive space. And they don't lose any quality (it's lossless compression, like a ZIP file).

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]