FORUMS: list search recent posts

Water Ripples Interacting

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Grunau
Water Ripples Interacting
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:27:24 am

Is it possible to have water ripples react to one another when they collide? I am trying to do a Matrix/Independance Day type shield effect, and the results look good with regular ripples as a displacement and compound blurs, but if they reacted with each other the effect would be much more convincing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Water Ripples Interacting
on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:21:17 pm

Not in particleIllusion -- there are no interparticle collisions.

If you're generating essentially cocentric rings which you then use as your displacement map, if you keep the range of colors (greyscale) at 50% max, then when you combine ripples, you'll get the interference patterns you want.

So instead of rendering ripples that go full white on black, make them go to 50% (grey) instead, so when you add 2 of these ripple images on top of each other, you'll get some areas that add up to full white.

Does that make sense?

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Matt Grunau
Re: Water Ripples Interacting
on Aug 12, 2008 at 9:37:22 pm

That makes perfect sense, on small hitch would be that when you create a displacement map or compound blurs (I'm using AE) the background color needs to be 128,128,128. I could do alphas, but I can never get the nice defined edges that I see in PI.

Actually, I know exactly what I will do, I'll make them exactly as you suggested, but against a black background, and then in AE, simply use Knoll Unmult, the best free plugin ever made. Then it's a simple precomp and it's done.

Thanks Alan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]