FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving Project Files

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Brennan
Saving Project Files
on Apr 2, 2008 at 11:07:38 pm

Hi,
Most video editing pros suggest putting clips, temp files, etc. onto either a second hard drive or a external hard drive. Should I be doing that with Particle Illusion 3 project files as well? Or does it matter? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Cooper
Re: Saving Project Files
on Apr 3, 2008 at 1:47:17 pm

Lee,

PI3 does not have the option to render to another drive. If your system is "hyperthreaded" you may want to switch it off in the CMOS while working in PI3. I find that speeds rendering and previewing significantly.

Cheers Craig

Peace Talks Hamper War in Middle East

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:27:04 pm

You can save output to any drive you want. Not sure what you mean here.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Lee Brennan
on Apr 4, 2008 at 12:37:28 am

Hi,
While watching a Vegas tutorial on Lynda.com and in two books on Vegas the authors made a big deal about never rendering video to the same hard drive that your OS is on (I don't know why).So my question was about rendering clips that were worked on in PI3 to import back into Vegas for final editing. Do you know why these authors more or less insist on using a second drive? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Apr 6, 2008 at 2:09:53 pm

I would think that that suggestion has to do with keeping your OS separate from your work files in case for some reason you need to reformat/reinstall your OS. It also makes things easier if you're switching to a new computer, as you can just insert the old drive into your new computer and keep working on your files, without spending a lot of time deleting applications from your old system.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

Lee Brennan
on Apr 8, 2008 at 10:21:11 pm

Hi,
Thanks-makes sense.

Return to posts index

Craig Cooper
on Apr 9, 2008 at 1:24:01 pm

Your OS drive (usually C:) is where your hidden Pagefile file exists. It is by default on the C drive. When your PC is working and buffering it uses this pagefile. What I have done is to make mine 4096GB and minimum of 3072GB.

You can configure this file to any size by doing the following. It's perfectly safe to do so.

In control panel, Dbl click the "System" icon. Click the "Advanced" tab. In the Performance section click "settings". Then click the Advanced tab. You will see "Virtual Memory". Click Change. And there you will see your listed drives. Click on "Custom Size". And now you can change it. Ignore what Window recomends because Windows doesn't know your needs.

What this does is to configure hard drive space as RAM. Windows will keep this space available. You will need to restart your PC to make it active.

So can you imagine Sony Vegas rendering to your C drive while your PC is also doing its thing on the C drive. That's why you should render to another drive. Also in PI3 you should save your output to another drive for the same reason.

Craig

Cheers Craig

Peace Talks Hamper War in Middle East

Return to posts index

Lee Brennan
on Apr 11, 2008 at 11:11:39 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming you meant 4096mb and a minimum of 3072mb. Question: Does increasing those numbers help the C drive run faster? I'm unsure about that. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]