FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still flickering

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gina Miller
Still flickering
on Mar 21, 2008 at 3:14:40 am

The more I play with PI, the more I do see that I do indeed still have flickering issues. What I see in my program window looks nice and smooth, then I render it out and I can tell in the render window that its bright, then not bright back and forth frame to frame in the render, or it has certain particles showing one frame then not the other back and forth every other frame, or in a recent example I have a trail of smoke go from one side of the screen to the other, and it looks great when I'm working on it, then when rendering I can see in the render preview that its lurching forward then back again then forward. All these give me an irregular flashing, jumping or flickering sort of appearance when I pull them into combustion to render. I am new with PI, so I might be missing something...? any advice appreciated. My particles that come native with combustion and max by the way are not having this problem. Thank you in advance for any help you may provide. : )

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
Re: Still flickering/I've got it/Nvidia update/no more flickers!
on Mar 21, 2008 at 7:40:00 am

Okay so I checked my graphic card settings from my control panel and it said "found no better drivers" when I did the "check for update" option. I then went to the Nvidia site and I used the drop down to find an update for my card (Nvidia quadro fx 4500) and there was one update but it said xp 2000 or xp pro 64 bt, and I'm xp pro 2002 32 bt so I got nervous and didn't download it. Later I went back and I noticed that there was a link to have them search your system for you and there it was 77.56 (it might have been the same one I saw earlier but I'm not sure) anyway, I ran it and I rebooted and I can render out now big size and all, no flashes, or flickers hooray!!! Happy dance time - and you were right of course Alan! Yippy!!!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Mar 21, 2008 at 4:32:11 pm

Glad you figured it out, and glad you posted as many details as you did.

Part of the issue seems to be that it sounds like you're rendering part of the time in particleIllusion itself, and part of the time in pIRender. I suggest you maximize particleIlusion before you render, so it won't need to use pIRender. pIllusion will first maximize the stage window to try to fit your output size. If it still can't fit it, it calls pIRender.

I'm not saying that I think pIRender is bad, but we've only recently added hardware acceleration to pIRender, and there may be issues there (especially when using older drivers).

So render in pIllusion itself whenever possible for the least amount of pain.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Gina Miller
on Mar 21, 2008 at 10:21:41 pm

Thanks and no problem - Yes it has been rendering from both the program and pIRender (with better results from the program - as you suggested - although no problems today since my driver update). I have been rendering big images 1920 X 1080 (but not very long - between 120 to 600 frames). I have been working inside of the "zoom to fit" so that I can see my full work scene, and when I render and the pop up asks me to "set zoom to 100%" I say yes, is this what you mean by maximizing? Gina`

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Mar 22, 2008 at 9:41:24 pm

You always want to set zoom to 100% or you won't get the output size you want.

By "maximize" I mean click the "maximize" button in the window title bar (between the "minimize" and "close" buttons in the window titlebar). Same for almosts every Windows application.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]