FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with PI Install on Mac OSX?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Dikmen
Problem with PI Install on Mac OSX?
on Feb 20, 2008 at 9:50:24 pm

I just purchased the ParticleIllusion 3.0 application. When I first launched the application it asked me to locate an Emitter Library (the Demo version did not ask me to do this), so I manually navigated to the Emitter Libraries > Default.il3 file (which is the only file in that folder) and the program crashed. Every time I try to load this "Default" file the program crashes. (Note the Demo Version had a similar file named "DefaultDemos.il3" and it works fine in both the Demo App as well as the Full Version?

Anyway, I went ahead and downloaded the two ZIP file links for Additional Emitters and they installed and load fine - I can launch the app and see these "additional" emitters without any problems.

So, I am only seeing two possible problems so far...

(1) My "Default.il3" emitters file appear to have a problem?
(2) Both the Demo and Full App contain a "folder" with the title
"Manual". Both these folders show a red circle icon in the lower right
corner with a minus sign and cannot be opened? System says I do not
have sufficient permissions to open these folders. I have Repaired
Permissions, but no change.

I am on MacOSX Leopard 10.5.2
Mac Pro 2.8 Intel Octo - 16-GB Ram

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Problem with PI Install on Mac OSX?
on Feb 20, 2008 at 10:25:43 pm

I suggest deleting the particleIllusion 3 folder from your Applications folder, then deleting the "pIllusion_3.prefs" file from your Preferences folder. Then delete the "particleIllusion xxxx.pkg" file from your Library / Receipts folder.

Then restart the computer and install again.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 21, 2008 at 7:36:10 am

Alan,

Sounded like a good plan, but did not work?

I trashed everything including prefs, restarted, repaired permissions (no problems found), downloaded PI installer and still every time it launches it would ask me to choose an emitter to open, I would choose the Default file and it would wait about 4 seconds and then crash. It is like the program just cannot recognize the Default.il3 file. The Default file shows to be 12.1 MB in size.

Also the "Manual" folder still shows to be locked.

The application works fine with the Demo emitters and all the supplemental emitters?

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 21, 2008 at 10:47:18 am

Alan,

I just tried installing PI on my G4 Laptop running Tiger and EVERYTHING worked fine there.

I automatically found the Default.il3 file upon launch and the "Manual" folder is not locked?

So maybe this is a problem with installing the Universal version on Leopard 10.5.2 (since it was only released about a week ago?

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Feb 21, 2008 at 1:28:38 pm

I've just tried it on my Leopard machine (10.5.2) and it works fine.

Having the Manual folder "locked" may not matter -- can you access the docs from the "Help" menu within particleIllusion?

Have you tried copying the "default.il3" file from the other machine (the "good" install) to this "problem" machine?

Alan.

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 21, 2008 at 8:40:34 pm

Alan,

Cannot access Help files from menu either.

Also, today, I was able to load the Default Emitters on the Leopard install? However, I keep getting strange behavior. Sometimes an animation goes to frame 120, stops and the only active button in the menu bar is the Play button and it does nothing? Also, clicking the Rewind button sometimes jumps me to the last frame vs the first frame? Quitting the program and relaunching usually gets it working again for a while?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Feb 21, 2008 at 11:10:04 pm

The rewind button behavior is normal -- it does that by design (once rewinds to whatever frame you started playback at, then again rewinds to frame 1, etc.)

The animation stopping at frame 120 and then only play button active... sounds weird, but might be explainable. What emitter are you using? Do you have playback set to stop at the end frame or repeat (loop)? If it's set to stop at the end frame, and the end frame is 120, and you have a complex emitter or scene, it can take a few seconds for all the particles to be calculated at frame 120.

I still don't know about the "Manual" folder. Did you try copying it from the other computer (I forgot to view the "entire thread" so I can't check back in your earlier posts).

Alan.

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 21, 2008 at 11:39:35 am

Alan,

Sorry, I have to take that back... it did install on the G4 laptop running Tiger 10.4.11 and I did not have the problem finding and loading the Default emitter file, but the app is not working correctly - I would not know where to start with the issues - Play and Stop don't work, etc,. The Demo worked perfectly on the laptop all night, but not this full version. I tried trashing everything and reinstalling - exact same problems.

At least the problems on both my machines are consistent even though different?

Return to posts index

Todd Groves
on Feb 21, 2008 at 11:04:08 pm

Sounds like there might be a problem with your computer outside of the PI install. I recently bought the Mac version and have had no problems installing and using PI3 at all since then.

I'm running PI3 on my MacBook Pro and I've had a very good experience with it so far.

Return to posts index

Jorge Marsal
on Feb 22, 2008 at 10:53:03 pm

John,
Did you ever resolve your installation problems?
I've had similar issues with no response as of yet.
Thanks,
Jorge

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 23, 2008 at 3:36:55 am

As far as my new Mac Pro, I am suspecting a USER ID/Permission problem at the OS level. The PI installed files show the "Unknown User" as the owner of those files and this is why I could not access the "manual" folder and it is probably wreaking havoc on the entire installation. After fighting with Apple for the past two weeks and getting nowhere, I have spent the past 24 hours doing a clean Install of Leopard and hopefully this will remedy my situation.

The Apple Migration Assistant simply DOES NOT WORK PERIOD in Leopard.

It is strange that the PI Demos worked perfectly on both my machines, but the full version has given me fits. I will post my findings after I get the new OS configured.

Return to posts index

Jorge Marsal
on Feb 23, 2008 at 9:05:10 pm

John,
I finally found how to fix the problem on the MacBook Pro.
It was under the Owner and permissions.
My IT manager has both of us as administrators on my system, so his name was locked under the owner. I was able to change it to my name, use password and apply to enclosed items, under the particleIllusion 3.0 folder.

Thanks for your reply.
Jorge

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 23, 2008 at 10:40:10 pm

Glad that helped.

I am not so lucky. I just spent the last 24 hours re-installing my system from the ground up and re-ran the PI Installer and it still has a Unknown User with Read & Write Privileges grayed out in the Get Info. I don't know if that is part of the reason the program is acting funny, but it just is not working right on this new MacPro running 10.5.2? Out of ideas here!

Return to posts index

Jorge Marsal
on Feb 23, 2008 at 11:19:23 pm

I was able to unlock and then it was no longer grayed out.
When you click on the lock, does it respond at all?

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 24, 2008 at 11:33:32 am

I can add myself with Read & Write Privileges, but I cannot delete one of the Unknown Users.

I also don't know if this is a problem, but the application is just not responding like the Demo Version. I had no problems at all with the Demo Version - it worked flawlessly.

I think I have nearly every plugin known to man, but this is the only one I am currently having problems with?

Return to posts index

John Dikmen
on Feb 24, 2008 at 12:07:40 pm

I just tried trashing everything two more times, reinstalling from scratch and getting nowhere.

Just for the heck of it I downloaded the DEMO installer and re-installed the Demo version from scratch AND IT WORKS FINE! The Help menu launches help and the interface seems to work fine?

I checked Permissions via Get Info on all the folders and files in both the Full Version and the Demo Version and they are all the same?

Also, the Demo version automatically found the Default Emitters file by itself upon initial launch, but the Full Version NEVER has - I always have to point it to an Emitters file upon initial launch.

Very strange, because this would be a VERY COOL program if I could get it to work!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Feb 24, 2008 at 1:46:43 pm

There's no reason why the demo and full Mac versions should behave differently. Please email support at wondertouch and let's see if we can figure this out.

Alan.

Return to posts index

Michael Ricks
on Mar 16, 2008 at 7:24:59 am

I'm also having the same permission type problems as others.

Return to posts index

Allen Kaufman
on Feb 26, 2008 at 8:39:15 am

I have had the exact same problem with my initial installation of PI and the Emitter Library issue - trashed everything more than once, etc. Same problems remained.

Then I downloaded the emitter libraries and pointed to them instead and the program ran.

Unfortunately, it crashes after only a few clicks while playing with it.

The Demo ran fine - very disappointed to discover missing emitters showcased in the demo not found in the retail version and in the software's overall performance.

Allen Kaufman
Sunlight Digital - media with meaning
artist-friendly video productions
http://www.sunlightdigital.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Feb 26, 2008 at 12:22:06 pm

Were the demo and non-demo versions you tried the same version number (3.0.6)?

If so, there's no reason why they both wouldn't work the same.

[Allen Kaufman] "The Demo ran fine - very disappointed to discover missing emitters showcased in the demo not found in the retail version and in the software's overall performance"

Which emitters are present in the Demo library but not in the released libraries?

If you are using 3.0.6 and are having issues (crashes or performance issues) *please* email support at wondertouch dot com and detail them for me!

Alan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]