FORUMS: list search recent posts

Night Lighting Effect?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Mitchell
Night Lighting Effect?
on Jan 1, 2008 at 5:27:25 pm

I have snow emitters on a background and a foreground layer and a lighted object emitter in the middle layer. Is there a way using just PI3 to give the appearance that the lighted object is illuminating the other layers in the area just surrounding the object? (I also have Premiere 6.5 if there's a way to do it there.)

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Night Lighting Effect?
on Jan 1, 2008 at 6:36:51 pm

In the May 2001 library, there's some simple emitters for just increasing the brightness or blacking things out. You can try using the Increase Brightness emitter, changing it's shape out for a round one (like basic blur) and then. Because the emitter has the Intense box checked it should brighten up things that pass behind it a bit, increase the visibility to adjust this and if you want to tint it, just adjust the colour from white.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jan 1, 2008 at 11:00:06 pm

Hi Terry-

OK - off topic, but it's been like forever... How are you? Hope things are going well for you.

Best,

Aharon

Aharon Rabinowitz
Email: arabinowitz (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
All Bets Are Off Productions, Inc.
Creative Cow After Effect Podcast
Internet Killed the Video Star: A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Return to posts index

Terry Mitchell
on Jan 1, 2008 at 11:43:57 pm

Hiyas, Aharon! Your right, been a long time.

Things... well my day job is still a struggle for survival, but I'm having a blast in my spare time still trying (operative word: "trying") to do animations. Got one clunky one (A Tribute to Godzilla) on YouTube (Search words "Poser" and "Godzilla"), another one (a children's story called "Little Frogs") that's making the animation festival circuit (actually won a couple of awards), and too many WIPs to keep my sanity.

The purpose of my posted question is that I've been asked to animate a short (about five minutes or so) children's Christmas story for "release" next year by a charity foundation. They've lined up some "name" (but definitely non-Hollywood) talent for the voices, so I'm trying to live up to their expectations regarding animation.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jan 4, 2008 at 3:22:49 am

Well, I'm glad to hear from you, and that your having fun. Good luck with everything!

Aharon Rabinowitz
Email: arabinowitz (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
All Bets Are Off Productions, Inc.
Creative Cow After Effect Podcast
Internet Killed the Video Star: A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Return to posts index

Terry Mitchell
on Jan 2, 2008 at 10:21:31 pm

Was there something else supposed to follow ..."and then" in your post?

I hope so because I'm stuck. I do have the Increase Brightness emitter, but I can't get it to do anything more than appear as a square area. I'd like to make the area affected by the emitter more of an ellipse, or even a cone (like a flashlight beam), but all I get is a square area (albeit one that does exactly what I want it too as far as the lighting effect - I just need to to be something other than a square area affected).

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 2, 2008 at 10:29:29 pm

and then... change the particle shape (image) to "basic blur" or something like that.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Terry Mitchell
on Jan 2, 2008 at 10:37:36 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Alan. I kinda thought that's what was meant, and I tried that. But what I'm missing is how to get the area affected by the emitter to be something other than a square, which changing the emitter's particle shape didn't do. Of course, I may be misunderstanding. Wouldn't be the first time.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 2, 2008 at 10:44:13 pm

That's how you do it though -- change the particle shape (image).

Sometimes due to an OpenGL glitch or something, the particles on the stage lose their textures, so show as colored squares (or rectangles) only. When this happens, I just open the emitter properties dialog then click "cancel" to close it right away. This forces the stage window OpenGL to "reset".

If that doesn't fix the problem, I'm not sure what else to suggest -- except maybe if the particle size is too big it's filling the whole stage.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Terry Mitchell
on Jan 2, 2008 at 11:16:29 pm

I think I'm having trouble articulating the situation. When I apply the Increase Brightness emitter to the layer with the snow, it appears as a square area that brightness everything within the square leaving everything outside of the square as is (just the way I want it to do), but I want the square area of increased brightness itself to be conical shaped, and changing the emitter particle shape does not appear to affect the affected area in the square. When I animate it, the square area of brightness moves along staying a square area regardless of the change to the emitter shape.

Return to posts index

Terry Mitchell
on Jan 2, 2008 at 11:20:48 pm

Never mind. Operator error. I forgot to hit the "Make Active" button. My bad. Sorry. Thank you for the patience, though.

(I've only had the program since it first came out. Sheesh!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]