FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to have a transparent background rendered out with emitter.

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David
How to have a transparent background rendered out with emitter.
on Oct 23, 2007 at 9:43:42 pm

PI has excellent Tech support and I thank you very much.

I am wondering if it is possible to create the movement I want and then be able to render this out with a transparent background so I may then overlay this outside of PI.It seems to be always a black background.
Thank you for any ideas here.
Great product. Great folks!
David R

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: How to have a transparent background rendered out with emitter.
on Oct 24, 2007 at 12:46:26 pm

Choose an output format that supports alpha channel, and check the "save alpha" option.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

David
on Oct 25, 2007 at 11:35:56 pm

I did try this.Saved full uncompressed.
After I bring it in to Vegas I put it above a track and cannot seem to get it to be transparent.
Any more help would be xcellent. : )
Thank you
David

Return to posts index

marksd2167
on Oct 29, 2007 at 1:47:10 pm

It sounds like you rendering out to avi. You will not be able to have a transparent background that way. In PI, before rendering, click on the little "bg" button to remove background from the video layer. Make sure your project has "lower first" (if you bring it into Vegas and your project is DV, otherwise leave it as "off" in "field Rendering)
Go to the "Save output" button, under "save as type" choose "PNG" then name your file, click on save.
Under "Alpha channel click on "Save Alpha" then put a check mark on "Remove black bg from RGB channels" now click on OK
Now in Vegas, open you project and go to FileImportMedia.
navigate to the location where you saved your file, click on the first png file and click on "open still image sequence" at the bottom, now click on "Open". On the next screen make sure the "Alpha channel" is set to Straight(unmatted). Click on OK.
Now you should have PNG file from 1 to whatever in you project media tab. Drag it over the video that you wanted this for and you should be set.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:33:28 pm

[marksd2167] "It sounds like you rendering out to avi. You will not be able to have a transparent background that way."

Yes you will, if you're using 3.0.2 (the latest version) which supports alpha in AVIs.

Alan.

Return to posts index

marksd2167
on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:43:22 pm

Thanks for the corrections Alan, I was thinking of 3.01a.
Alan have looked at my earlier post. about exporting to PP pro?

Return to posts index

randal radabaugh
on Apr 17, 2010 at 4:00:24 am

Hello, been using PI for a while but am learning more about it.

As above, I am trying to take an image with 3/4 transparent background.
I put into PI and add emitters. I set lower first, I have also checked transparency in layer for image.And I get no transparent ckrboard as tutorials says. When I go to Render to AVI----( i have 3.0) the alpha check box is unavailable.

any answers?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Apr 19, 2010 at 12:51:42 pm

Does your background clip have transparency already? If not, then don't use the particleIllusion transparency settings (the "T" icon). For a partially-transparent background you'll need to do that in a your video editing application, not particleIllusion.

Render the particles alone (no background) choosing a format that can have alpha -- so PNG, TGA, or AVI if you choose a codec that supports alpha like Lagarith or HuffYUV. Then the "Save alpha" option will be enabled.

Then composite (layer) the particle footage with your original background footage in your video editor, doing whatever you want to the layers.

Alan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]