FORUMS: list search recent posts

September emitter libraries released

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lorence
September emitter libraries released
on Oct 16, 2007 at 2:09:54 pm

Took a while, but the September emitter libraries have been released. If you're running 3.0.2, just do a "check for updates" or "check for new libraries" and you can download right there.

I decided that I would start with 3 of my favorite existing emitters and see what I could come up with. First, I started with "Flash Gordon". This emitter was designed by Tom Granberg back using version 1.0 (or maybe even before we released 1.0), but I STILL see it used in different places (TV commercials mostly). So I decided to "ramp it up" a little and make a few variations.

Unfortunately, the SE version of the Sept. library only has the 3 "flash gordon" variations -- all of the other emitters are super emitters and don't convert to SE format.

I also made some cool smoke emitters from the "wall of fire 2a" emitter. "Smoke Column 04a" is pretty nice I think.

Finally, started with one of the "spark variations" emitters and made a bunch of new sparky and burst emitters. There is a new technique in some of these that makes fast-moving particles more convincing: stretching the particles when they move faster. With motion blur OFF, compare "Negative Sparks 01" to "Negative Sparks 01a" -- you'll see that 01a has more "action" to it, even though the only difference is that the particles "stretch" at first. This uses the "size x over life" and "align to motion" to "stretch" the particles. Nice trick that I'll be using whenever I can. (Looks even better when adding motion blur, but it can be used instead of motion blur in some cases I think.)

Emitter downloads page (if you're not using 3.0.2):
http://www.wondertouch.com/default.asp?loadContent=emLibs.asp

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

BlckDm
Re: September emitter libraries released
on Oct 16, 2007 at 6:06:19 pm

Awesome stuff, Alan!!!! I love the Flash Gordon! It's great to see an update on an older, yet still very useable emitter...

Return to posts index

razors
on Oct 16, 2007 at 11:27:11 pm

Alan,
These are really great. My fave is Smoke Column 01, which reminds me of a classic Sinbad/Harryhausen effect. Expected to see some evil eyes peering through...
I was thinking maybe this forum should have a Sticky Post, where people could add Wish List effects that they'd love to have. Maybe to provide you and others with some inspiration? Just a thought.

Return to posts index

DanDan
on Oct 17, 2007 at 6:14:05 am

The smoke column emitters are top notch! Great work!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]