FORUMS: list search recent posts

Elvis' Disintegrate Tutorial

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob
Elvis' Disintegrate Tutorial
by
on Oct 11, 2007 at 6:24:07 pm

Hi, I'm new to PI and it could be argued that the Disintegration Tutorial is too advanced for me, but for the most part I have it working and understand the concepts. But what I'm trying to do now is add a background, a simple thing you would say, and I agree. I think the problem I'm having, is with my original greenscreen footage. I'm not so certain that what I have loaded, actually has an Alpha channel. Is there any way to check it? In Elvis' tutorial he speaks about "In my compositing program, I've used the keying tools to remove that green screen, and then saved the clip out as a sequence of images (PNG) with an alpha channel." There's no mention of which program he used to do this. So I've tried to use what I have at hand, to remove the greenscreen, and saved the video in 32-bit AVI with Alpha 720 X 480 29.97. I did this in UltraKey, assigning the green part to black, because if I don't the green shows up in Particle and I still can't put a background behind it. Now I'm fairly certain this exported video has an Alpha channel, because when I load it back into UltraKey, the current background comes through flawlessly. Problem is I can't get the same results in PI. It could be I'm just doing something wrong and need direction, or the Alpha output of UltraKey is not supported by PI, I don't know. So it boils down to a few simple questions. Am I in fact doing something wrong? What kind of program do I need to do what Elvis suggests, remove the green screen and export as a sequences of (PNG)? Or can this be done with my existing software? I'm using UltraKey, Vegas 7.0 and Particle Illusions. Oh I should mention I did try loading MY disintegrated video into Vegas to add a background there, but the output from PI doesn't have an Alpha channel. So I believe this all has to be done from with PI. Thanks to anyone who can offer even a little bit of assistance.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Elvis' Disintegrate Tutorial
on Oct 12, 2007 at 6:30:29 am

I used After Effects, but Ultra should be perfect for it, and your clip may be fine and contain an alpha as it says. The issue is that the version of particleIllusion currently available doesn't support AVIs with Alpha channels. That will all change when the free upgrade to 3.02 is released very soon, it supports AVIs with alpha.

I don't know if Ultra can export PNG or TIF sequences, which is what you'd need before the update is released. Vegas can do PNGs with a script, but I don't know if they contain alphas or not.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

Rob
Re: Elvis' Disintegrate Tutorial
by
on Oct 12, 2007 at 2:38:33 pm

Hi Elvis, thanks so much for your quick response, it's appreciated. Ok that would completely explain the problem I'm having, because your (.PNG) sequence worked perfectly. The Alpha output from UltraKey is not working, nor is loading the green screen .AVI into PI and exporting in .PNG format with Alpha. I've even tried exporting my green screen footage out of Vegas 7.0 with Alpha, still no go! I'm searching for a solution before the 3.02 update release. Any chance you could try exporting out of Vegas? Maybe I'm just not setting the export settings correctly? If not, I'll continue experimenting, hoping to find a solution. Thanks so much for your assistance, and clearing up why it isn't working for me. Seems odd they didn't incorporate loading green screen .AVI's into PI, you'd think that would be it's primary function. Anyways, back to the drawing board.

Rob, http://www.robjames.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]