I'm having trouble with my PI install

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mick
I'm having trouble with my PI install
by
on Sep 29, 2007 at 9:22:07 pm

Hi all,

I just downloaded and installed PI from the wondertouch website. Unfortunately it crashes immediately. I got an error message that said the program might not have installed correctly after the install program said the install was complete. I picked the option to reinstall, but the program still crashes when I click the desktop icon.

Uninstalled/re-installed a few times, but no help

I'm running Vista ultimate, but didn't find anyone else comment on problems with Vista & PI. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

mick
Re: I'm having trouble with my PI install
by
on Sep 29, 2007 at 9:42:20 pm

I went back more than a few months & did find some vista issues. I'm on a 64-bit operating system, is that still an issue?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Sep 30, 2007 at 8:28:06 am

I don't have a 64-bit system, so can't answer that. But you could try the below.

First thing to check is: do you have libraries installed in the Program folder of PI?

That is in Program Files/particleillusion/Emitter Libraries, and in there there should be at least one .II3 type file called "default" or something generic like that. (I've made my own custom ones, so don't have the originals anymore)

Point: PI can crash if a library is not present or has become corrupted.

Then try the two following things in order given. I have XP Home, so translate the following for yourself in your Vista equivalent (I've only worked on Vista briefly while setting up a computer for a neighbor):

1. Once installed, even if it crashes, let it do so, then make sure it's unloaded, not running i.e. check in Task Manager (XP-speak). Then go to Start/Programs, choose Particleilluson, reset to default settings. Then try to open PI.

If still not working:

2. Uninstall completely, then re-install PI but this time through whatever the Vista version of installing an application for an earlier OS wizard thing is called. (Too late at night for me to remember even the XP name, my Help files are offline :)

If no-go, and no-one from PI has replied here, contact support directly. But my guess is that you will get a reply here on Monday sometime.

Return to posts index

mick
by
on Sep 30, 2007 at 5:03:59 pm

Thanks for the help, but it wasn't the emitter libraries.

I think I'll have to wait until Monday to talk with the Wondertouch crew. In earlier posts, some had mentioned a problem with PI on Vista64. I think I need a special version of the program.

But if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 30, 2007 at 10:33:19 pm

I can't get PI to run after installing it either.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2. I authorized the program and it just crashes every time I run it.

If I use the restore to defaults option from the start menu, the program will run once, but if I run it again it will just crash.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 30, 2007 at 10:40:38 pm

I just uninstalled and reinstalled and still just crashes every time I open it, except the first time after resetting the defaults from the start menu.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 30, 2007 at 10:44:41 pm

Is there a way to tell if the program actually got authorized properly once it is running?

The "report a bug" link doesn't work from the Help Contact menu as well. (Heh, heh, in other words, "report a bug" is "bugged").

My old computer crashed and I replaced it with this new one. I can't figure out how to transfer my old license to this new computer. It said I had two authorizations left when I tried to register it, so I just used one of those.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Oct 1, 2007 at 2:34:25 pm

Hi folks-

To help keep effort to a minimum here - if you are trying to run pillusion on a 64-bit system, you must contact Wondertouch support for help setting that up. There is no other solution to getting it to run on 64-bit.

support(AT)wondertouch(DOT)com

Aharon

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
arabinowitz(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

----------------------------------------
Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Oct 1, 2007 at 4:31:51 pm

Mine is just a basic Win XP Pro SP2 32bit installation.

Maybe I should have just started a new thread instead of posting in this one?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 1, 2007 at 4:37:27 pm

You should email wondertouch support.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

mick
by
on Oct 2, 2007 at 3:54:05 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Got the 64bit download and so far everything seems smooth.

-Mick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]