FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loss of clarity and increase in size when exporting to PNG

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dxhans5
Loss of clarity and increase in size when exporting to PNG
on Sep 25, 2007 at 7:30:11 pm

I have done a search on the forums but I haven't as of yet found any threads that are directly related to this question (course I'm probably just searching for the wrong wording).

I export all of my videos from PI into PNG files with an Alpha channel so that I can import them into Flash. The problem I have is when I import the PNG's into Flash, they are HUGE and extremely pixelated due to the increase in size. I have tried to change the size of the work area in PI, etc. but it always seems to export in a much larger size then I'm expecting.

Can anyone point me to a thread here on the boards that will answer this discussion or can anyone point me to the settings in PI that I will need to tweak to get a WYSIWYG sort of thing when I export?

Thank you so much!!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Loss of clarity and increase in size when exporting to PNG
on Sep 25, 2007 at 8:36:23 pm

There's a bug in pIllusion 3.0.1a Windows that writes the wrong DPI value into the PNG files. So you either need to save in a different format (TGA maybe?) or load the PNGs into some app that allows you to change the DPI values.

Or wait until 3.0.2 is released.

Or if you own 3.0 (and you're not just using the demo), contact me at wondertouch support and I'll put you on the 3.0.2 beta test.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

dxhans5
on Sep 25, 2007 at 8:49:11 pm

Perfect...great advice. Thank you so much. I have never used TGA files before...will they carry an Alpha channel?

I'm still using the demo at this point since I'm in school and this is just for a hobby...but once I go pro or get closer to graduating...this is definately going to be a gun in my arsenal. This is a fantastic product...the easiest I have found to use and even with these little bugs...it works wonders.

Thank you so much for creating an affordable and easy to use product!!

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Sep 26, 2007 at 12:27:42 am

dxhans5,

I agree, it's not only a fun program but a very versatile one once you start knowing how to tweak and get really creative :)

Alan mentioned having an app in which you could make the output files from PI into whatever size you want.
Meaning video editor, i.e. an NLE.

If you don't already have one and yet want to get creative with PI-generated work, you might think of getting one. Being a student, you are probably not overflowing with cash, but there are affordable deals.

So... if you don't already have one and you are interested, below is a slightly edited part of a posting I put up recently here at this forum.

A really great deal in there too.

Good luck.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"NLE" is short for professional "non-linear editor" = video/film editing software. The Sony Vegas line is one of them and Sony just released the higher version 8 (and changed the name to "Vegas Pro").

Most such NLE's cost from $499-$10,000+. Vegas being the most affordable -- and easiest to use.

BUT before you hit the "Ain't got that kinda dough, dude..." button...

IF you want to get into some serious editing firepower, you can get a totally legit, steal-deal on version 6 as long as it lasts--which may not be long since v.8 is out now. It may go away by the end of the month, but that's just a guess.

"OK, yeah... But how much is it?"

$99. Yup, the top of the Vegas line one. No joke, no scam:

--- It's disk-only, but I'm a regular at the Vegas forums at Sony and so I know that one can upgrade from this ridiculously priced v.6 deal when/if you wish to do so in the future.

Sure, you could get something like Pinnacle Studio, but Studio is to Vegas what a bicycle is to a racing motorcycle. Alternately, you could also get something intermediate from Sony:

--- Vegas Movie Studio, it comes in two flavors, $79, $119 MSRP. But you'd be way ahead with the 6 pro version of Vegas, if for but one reason, among many others:

Unlimited tracks.

This can't quite be appreciated until one actually starts getting into truly creative editing. The other consumer versions of Vegas don't have that capability, and they also lack other features that the real Vegas does have.

So go check out the links below.

You can also search B&H (where the steal-deal is) or elsewhere for Movie Studio prices: but stick to reputable retailers, otherwise you'll get screwed money-wise and/or product-wise.

You can find decent deals at Amazon, too, but not the steal-deal one -- it's a special one arranged with Sony at B&H.

Bottom line:

--- If you want to get good at editing and pull of stuff you can't yet even imagine, go for the $99 deal, and soon. I've blown myself away at what I've discovered I could do as I learned (and keep learning) to use Vegas.

----------------------------------------

---- Vegas 6 -- B&H Deal for $99

---- All Sony Vegas Versions -- Sony Product Page

Return to posts index

dxhans5
on Sep 26, 2007 at 5:52:05 pm

Great information...thank you so much. I did a test last night based on the information from ya'll and it came out perfectly. All I did was export to PNG, imported all of the PNG files into Photoshop, fixed the size to what it should be, optimized each cell for Web and then imported them all into Flash.

Here's the result (just the fire...the smoke is from the picture and that's my next project!)

http://www.voxeternus.com/aoc/aoc.swf

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Sep 26, 2007 at 7:45:26 pm

Hey, nice work :)

Got a couple of suggestions for subtly bumping up realism, no biggie, but due to my design background I can get detail nit pick - lol

-- The motion in the flames (which look great, BTW) could stand to be a bit taller/fuller so as to stand out a bit more.

-- Motion of smoke seems to be slower than flames, they should match more, i.e. speed up the smoke a bit, let it get a tad wilder. And/or you can risk making it a bit more opaque by a few percentages. Play around with Life and/or Velocity and proportionally, Number and/or Visibility to keep the original feel (to avoid "white-outs."

-- It's good to have warm tone/cool tone contrasts and so the blue-ness of the smoke works. But perhaps only have the top half of the smoke in the blues you have, the bottom mmre towards orange. Use particle Properties/Particle Color gradient for that.

Again, I can be a bit uber-detailed, so take or leave the above.
Try it out, see what happens.

Return to posts index

dxhans5
on Sep 27, 2007 at 5:08:11 am

Awsome...thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on the smoke right now actually...I'll definately tweak it like you suggest to see what comes out

Return to posts index

dxhans5
on Sep 27, 2007 at 5:21:43 am

Sorry for the repeat post...I couldn't figure out a way to modify my last post.

I have been playing with the smoke for a bit now but I can't figure out how to change the color of the particles over time. For instance...I want the particle to start red/orange and end blue. When I change the color scope...it just cycles through the colors from the beginning...meaning that the particles will either start red/orange or blue but they won't transition from one to the other over time.

Any tips on where I should actually make this change?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Sep 27, 2007 at 11:06:48 am

I think if you look at the options under the color gradient you'll see the answer. You're probably set to "random color" instead of "use full gradient".

Alan.

Return to posts index

dxhans5
on Sep 27, 2007 at 6:56:43 pm

Thanks so much! I'll check this out tonight when I get home from work.

Return to posts index

Sockratease
on Oct 3, 2007 at 9:37:53 am

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I have noticed this bug, and exploited it to get some great Pop-Art effects!

I don't suppose the bug fix includes the option to set the dpi manually, so I can reproduce this when desired?

If not, I'll just keep my old version around for when I want this look.

I never reported it as a bug because it is not consistent here, or maybe I was not doing the same sequence of stuffs...

Regardless, it can be made to create some interesting effects if handled properly!

Just a thought.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 3, 2007 at 11:16:19 am

No, you won't be able to specify the DPI value in pI3. But you can always use another app to change the value to whatever you want after the image is rendered.

Alan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]