FORUMS: list search recent posts

Igniting a Soccer Ball With pI3 and After Effects

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Jeff Bellune
Igniting a Soccer Ball With pI3 and After Effects
on Sep 13, 2007 at 9:18:58 pm

I've finally had a chance to get back to a personal project.

I'm editing a highlight reel for a youth recreational league, and I used this effect for the first series of highlights after the title sequence.

Masking and color grading in AE took the largest amount of time. Timewarp was used for the ending transition to the next sequence.

The clip is 1 minute 47 seconds long. Hopefully you won't find it too "cheesy".

Large Windows Media at 640x480 (11.2 MB)

Small Windows Media at 320x240 (5.2 MB)

-Jeff

The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe Encore DVD 2.0

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Igniting a Soccer Ball With pI3 and After Effects
on Sep 13, 2007 at 9:54:36 pm

Excellent work, and not "cheesy" at all. Next time, on the big kicks, add some sparkle "spray" that shoots off. =)

I'd like to hear how you did all of the camera tracking, and controlled the "zoom" of the particles.

(The only sport more entertaining than peewee soccer is peewee ice hockey.)

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 14, 2007 at 12:32:36 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the kind words and for the "spray" advice!

I used the Star Trail 2.0 emitter. Typically I animated the entire emitter's zoom property to account for camera zooms. On some shots I had to adjust the size of the big glow particle to keep it reasonably sized wrt to the rest of the emitter.

I tried tracking the balls in AE, but the ball moved behind obstructions too often for me to get a good enough track.

That left me with performing roto in pI, which I did. I exported each background clip from AE as a 648x480 HuffYUV .avi file so that pI would accept it as a background. The emitter stage was also sized to 648x480

With very few exceptions, each position keyframe in pI was created "curved". That allowed me to adjust the bezier handles to account for changes in both ball position and ball acceleration over several frames without having to add a keyframe for each frame. Not having a keyframe for every frame also smoothed out the motion of the particles quite a bit.

Once I had the emitter's path complete for a given clip, I imported the emitter into AE as a 32-bit .png sequence. Then I dropped it into a 720x480 (0.9 PAR) comp and started masking. That involved more roto work because I needed the emitter trails to be behind some players and in front of others. So I animated the masks field-by-field in 59.94 fps comp to make sure that the emitter trails appeared to be behind the players when appropriate.

If you'd like any examples of my pI or AE projects, I'd be happy to email them to you (sans footage, of course).

Best,
-Jeff

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Sep 16, 2007 at 1:42:56 pm

probably the best roto and tracking work I've seen with PI. I think we'd ALL love to see more.

Have you thought about writing a tutorial on your workflow?

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
arabinowitz(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

----------------------------------------
Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Sep 17, 2007 at 9:37:16 pm

Thanks, Aharon! I've seen some of your work in AE and with pI, and that's quite a compliment coming from you. I was happy with the way it turned out, but I never thought it would be considered the "best" of anything. :-)

I hadn't considered a tut, but I will.

I'm on vacation until next week; let me explore some ideas when I get back.

Best,
-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]