FORUMS: list search recent posts

PI-3: Best AVI Codec/Format for Background Image?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soniclight
PI-3: Best AVI Codec/Format for Background Image?
on Aug 31, 2007 at 9:37:33 am

I've read all the FAQ on AVI and know that there will be improvements for AVI export in due time.

I don't want to install the albeit free, potentially problematic Panasonic DV codec for I've had a long headache just getting my JVC SD camcorder's codecs to work :)

I also have Sony Vegas 6 at this point and rolled back my Windows Media Player to 10 for it's less bloated and more stable for me. Loading new codecs can be tricky and I want to avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

And, I may not need to anyway...

So far, I've been using uncompressed AVI xports from Vegas just to play it safe for PI, but it's impractical for two reasons:

--- Huge file = A) takes up HD space and B) must put strain on PI (as it would any app playing back a 1 or 2 Gb file).

At this point, I use these AVI to create or map effects that I then export to Vegas to composite on the AVI's original edit. Otherwise put, the AVI I use in PI is essentially a stand-in" file.

So...

--- What is the best recommended codec/format/compression (i.e. the one you guys use the most at PI headquarters) for such "stand-in" AVIs?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: PI-3: Best AVI Codec/Format for Background Image?
on Aug 31, 2007 at 2:25:31 pm

I find that frameserving from Vegas is the best way. No big file, no recompression. There's a description of how to do that here.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:09:48 pm

Ah-haa, so that's what FrameSaver does! :) Thanks.

I had passed on FS back when I first got Vegas as I was scouring VASST and such for extra ditties. Definitely a space saving solution and more.

I'll have it intsalled by the time you read this reply.

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:12:07 pm

Ah-haa, so that's what FrameServer does! :) Thanks.

I had passed on FS back when I first got Vegas as I was scouring VASST and such for extra ditties. Definitely a space saving solution and more.

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:14:07 pm

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:15:16 pm

I'll have it intstalled by the time you read this reply.

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:17:12 pm

BOARD ADMIN: Sorry about the repeat posts, tried to go back and edit and it just accumulated, feel free to delete all but first one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]