FORUMS: list search recent posts

-- Your P.O.V.: PI/CC Forum Changes -- Recent Avalanche of Ads...

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soniclight
-- Your P.O.V.: PI/CC Forum Changes -- Recent Avalanche of Ads...
on Aug 2, 2007 at 12:55:27 am

Below is an email I recently sent to the the advertising and marketing department of Creative Cow (CC) -- the board hosting this support forum. I've gotten no reply.

I am curious what both PI staff and PI users think of this issue. Probably not much one can do, but perhaps I'm not the only one a bit peeved about this.

I'm not dissing anyone, simply stating a perspective as a registered user of PI and someone who has been using forums for a long time.

Thanks for your input.

========================================================

Subject: CC Online Changes: Very Distracting/Disrespectful to Registered App Users

Hello Ron,

I just returned to my support board for ParticleIllusion recently after a hiatus and find the added slew of animated box-ads really annoying -- it actually distracts one while concentrating on someone's response to a Q, etc.

I'm not knocking the need to raise funds for maintaining a board, but this is absolutely the worst form I've ever seen. I've been using BBS boards for over 10 years, incl. moderating a couple. I've been aware of CC from just about as long too.

Suggestions:

--- Think about the visitor as a human being who needs to read a posting to get help, not just a potential hit number on some ad. If you need to keep the ads, at least have the courtesy stop having them appear right next to any and every posting one wishes to read.

It's reminiscent of cheap gif-flashing websites, only worse for they are omnipresent.

I have various multimedia products, i.e Sony Vegas to Steinberg SX: their and other user boards never subject one to such annoying stuff. Granted, prduct boards such as the above mentioned are often corporate and hence they can afford it.

However there are are many non-corporate and even labor-of-love forums that don't go to the extreme you have chosen.

The simple fact is also that I and others have paid for our registered products and we should not have to put up with this ads-avalanche.

-------------------------------------

While I'll close all the above with a respectful TIOLI, I also do truly hope you and the team will seriously re-consider rethinking your approach:

---- Please implement a more user-respectful alternative.

Sincerely,

Philip Steven Knight
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Re: -- Your P.O.V.: PI/CC Forum Changes -- Recent Avalanche of Ads...
on Aug 2, 2007 at 3:27:23 am

We apologize for the breaking of the mechanism. We're looking into the cause and should have it fixed as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

Soniclight
Re: -- Your P.O.V.: PI/CC Forum Changes -- Recent Avalanche of Ads...
on Aug 2, 2007 at 4:03:44 am

Hello Kathlyn,

Thanks for reply (fast one :) though I'm a bit puzzled what you mean by "the breaking of the mechanism." Perhaps I needed to be a bit more specific:

--- What I am referring to is the vertical column of what looks like 120x120 pixels animated Flash ads that appear on the left side upon viewing any posting.

There are ones on the right also, but they are less distracting since the human eye reads English or Western language text starting on the left.

Maybe all this is a CSS or other across-boards code boo-boo as your replies seems to imply. I thought it was strategically designed to appear that way, a strategy with which I obviously don't agree :)

Anyway, whatever the case, thanks for taking notice of this issue.

__

Return to posts index

Soniclight
Re: -- Your P.O.V.: ..... Recent Avalanche of Ads...-Thanks :)
on Aug 2, 2007 at 6:59:57 pm

Well, looks like it got fixed. We're back to normal :) NRN.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]