FORUMS: list search recent posts

3.0.2 for Windows progress report

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lorence
3.0.2 for Windows progress report
on Jul 23, 2007 at 4:16:59 pm

I haven't mentioned it for a while, so I'll give a status report on where we are with the 3.0.2 free upgrade for Windows.

The main reason for this update is to provide enhanced movie file support: WMV, DV AVIs, alpha channel in AVI. This is still being worked on, and is technically challenging. Very.

The nice thing for you is that since it's taken so much longer to get the movie code updated, I've had time to think about other features. Things I was going to add in 3.5, but decided to add in 3.0.2 (and 3.0.6 on the Mac side). Here are some of the features that have been added:

- "Scale Project" function, which allows you to take a project at one size (SD for instance) and easily convert it to another (HD for instance).

- Automatic handling of "too big" output sizes. Instead of just scaling your output size down to fit in the existing stage window, now a couple things will happen when your output size is too big to fit in the stage window: the stage window will be maximized. If the stage window is still too small to fit the output size you want, pIllusionRender will automatically be called to do the rendering.

- "Emitter Libraries" folder can now contain one level of subfolders, so you can better organize your "quick load library" menu and not have to scroll through a menu list of 100 libs.

- Graph windows will "autoscroll" to show the data values when selected now.

- pIllusionRender (Windows) now has hardware acceleration.

I think that's it. A few other bug fixes. Hope to have it ready for release in the next month or so. Still looking for beta testers (must be registered users of pI3 for Windows).

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

BobMoyer
Re: 3.0.2 for Windows progress report
on Jul 23, 2007 at 11:28:06 pm

Thank you very much for the progress report on the update. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting its release. Not that I am having any problems - just looking forward to the new features. I would love to be a beta tester but in all honesty I am not all that proficient with PI3.
Bob

Return to posts index

Filmusic Incorporated
on Jul 25, 2007 at 7:04:49 am

Hi, thanks for the update!

I have downloaded the 30 day trial and found P3 software to be excellent interms of me getting up and running and creating what I need (a fast learning curve indeed.)

The issue I bumped into is that I am shooting Pal HDV, then transcoding in Avid to DNX. I then create an AVI movie out of Avid bringing it into P3 to create an effect, then I apply the magic of P3, then record a movie out of P3, bring it back into Avid (where I think it gets transcoded to DNX again)...by the end of all of this, it doesn't look the best. I can see what I think are interlace lines within the effects that I create, which is odd as I send avi files out of Avid non-iterlaced file (about 10 seconds)

As I'm new to P3, I suspect that there is a better way to reach my goal of Avid to P3 then back to to Avid (all within an HDV screensize)

So please indicate if the new additions in 3.02 are going to allow for a workflow that has as it's end goal a better looking scene then what I have been able to create todate.

I love P3, I just need a touch of help in understanding how I can make it all work in my HDV environment.

My ears are wide open so please (anyone) help me along in my understanding. If what I am requesting is possible now - then GREAT - if so, then please indicate what should be my preferred workflow.

Thanks in advance for helping me out (I love this software!!)

Cheers
Stephen

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jul 25, 2007 at 1:40:44 pm

Stephen,

What codec do you use when you create the movie in pIllusion? I'd suggest saving as a TGA or PNG sequence instead, and you can save with an alpha channel for the particles then. So workflow becomes:

1) load reference footage into pIllusion
2) add particle effects
3) turn off footage, render TGA or PNG with "save alpha" checked
4) import image sequence into AVID

I think that will work, and will give better results.

Alan.

Return to posts index

Filmusic Incorporated
on Jul 25, 2007 at 8:22:32 pm

Hi, thanks so much for offering me your workflow - I'm travelling for a few days, but will certainly follow your suggestion sometime late next week, then report back on what I find.

Thanks again!

Cheers
Stephen

Return to posts index

Kentwolf
on Aug 2, 2007 at 3:10:37 am

>>...I think that will work, and will give better results.

I have used the workflow you stated for some time and it has worked well.

The one instance on which it does not work well is any *dust* effect.

When I would export a dust effect with BG turned off, save alpha to a TGA sequence, it never looks right.

Any suggestions for the dust fx?

Thanks.

Kent

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: dust effect alpha (was 3.0.2 for Windows progress report)
on Aug 2, 2007 at 10:46:49 am

Try the "Create non-intense alpha" option. I think it will work much better.

Alan.

Return to posts index

Paul Hansen
on Jul 28, 2007 at 4:40:49 am

Since I finished my last project, I haven't been using the 3.02 beta PI. I went to use it today and it said that it had expired. Is there a new beta on the way?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]