FORUMS: list search recent posts

organizing emitter libraries

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tubbesing
organizing emitter libraries
on Mar 28, 2007 at 12:08:23 pm

Big Fat Worm 1 is in the Creatures_01 and Default libraries.
Fiery 01 is in Default_01, Super_Emitters_01, and Emitters_03_06, (which I downloaded from the Wondertouch website).
I can't dig into libraries and move/copy emitters from one library to another like files in folders (can I?), so how do I organize all the emmitters, including the downloaded emitters, which are glommed together in libraries by date, not category?
How do I easliy move emitters from one of these disparate libraries to another? How do I cross-reference/move/delete redundant emitters?
I realize the answer may be "you can't".
Thanks in advance,
Andy

Return to posts index

tubbesing
Re: organizing emitter libraries
on Mar 28, 2007 at 12:42:41 pm

A clarification...
I realize that this post answers my question:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/23/749748?&archive=T
Thanks, Aharon!
I was, however, hoping for the ability to open several libraries at once and shuffle the contents from one to another with all of them simultaneously open, as I do with folders.
Just one of those glass-half-empty people, I guess.
Thanks again,
Andy

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Mar 28, 2007 at 7:40:53 pm

You can't have a few open at the same time that you can shuffle emitters back and forth from. But the library manager has all your emitters listed on the right side of the screen and you can rearrange things pretty quickly

The best methodology is to create a new library based on whatever criteria you want (fire, for example) and pop through all the libraries and slide the fire related ones you want into the new library.

Alan has said that the next version will revamp the whole libraries system, which I think means you'll get something closer to your wish.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

tubbesing
on Mar 29, 2007 at 11:20:53 am

Thanks Elvis.
I started organizing the emitters as you suggested.
PI does seem kinda touchy in this regard. It hangs a lot, and libraries spontaneously corrupt, and options/icons (e.g. -- add folder) seem to deactivate for no reason.
Ah. well... I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.
Thanks again,
Andy

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Mar 29, 2007 at 12:19:51 pm

When making major changes to libraries (as you are), I usually do it a little at a time. This seems to avoid the corruption problem (which we've never been able to duplicate when looking for it). What do I mean by "a little at a time"?

1) Open the Library Manager
2) Add all (or some) of the emitters you want. You can create new folders too if needed.
3) Save the library, or even close the Library Manager.
4) Load another library.
5) Load the first library again. This is to detect corruption at the earliest point.
6) Repeat steps 2-5 until you have all of the emitters in the library you want.

7) If emitters need to be put into different places in the same library, drag them around now.
8) Do steps 4 and 5

Etc.

The point is to save the library often, and load a different library, then reload the library you are working on.

If you get a corruption, you can use the latest backup in the "library backups" folder -- just copy it out of that folder and remove the ".bak" extension.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

tubbesing
on Mar 29, 2007 at 6:02:01 pm

Thanks, Alan. I came close to your 8-step system by trial-and-error, but your refinements helped a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]