FORUMS: list search recent posts

Library Property Crashes

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Thompson
Library Property Crashes
on Mar 24, 2007 at 11:42:31 pm

Hi,

I've used PI since it first came out but lately I'm getting crashes when randomly opening library properties to change settings.

Maybe a corrupt library? The previews work fine and I can even bring them to the stage and render them but if I open up the properties.... Crash.

Any thoughts?

I've down loaded the latest version and I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

I've reset the default options and I thought I've tried everything. Just not sure at this point.

Thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Thompson
Re: Library Property Crashes
on Mar 24, 2007 at 11:56:42 pm

OK,

When I open up the library Emitters_05_03il3, the Logo Column 03 and 05 Crash but the Logo Column 04 crashes.

Can anyone check this on their end for me?

These arent't the only two but it's driving me crazy.

Thanks again,
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Thompson
on Mar 24, 2007 at 11:59:06 pm

Oops!,

I should of said that the Logo Column 04 DOES NOT CRASH!

I think I've crashed. :)

Return to posts index

Digit0
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:19:51 pm

Sometimes your project gets corrupted then you will get crashes. After re-creating it from scratch will usually fix it.

Also you may want to reset your settings by: "Start"-"All programs"-"Particleillusion 3.0"-"reset default settings"

Craig

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Mar 26, 2007 at 2:50:33 pm

If I understand this correctly, if you open the properties dialog for the library emitters (by double-clicking an emitter in the library window), it does crash with 03 and 05, but doesn't crash for 04?

Why not just double-click one that does not crash, then select the one you want in the hierarchy once the properties dialog opens?

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Steve Thompson
on Mar 26, 2007 at 4:46:50 pm

Hi Craig,

I did a reset but the results were the same.

Alan, thanks for that tip. When I bring in the emitter into the project and choose properties from the hierarchy, I do not crash.

Still bugs me but it's probably the way I should be handling my emitters anyway as to not change the original by making changes in the library.

Thank you again,
Steve

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Mar 26, 2007 at 7:12:16 pm

Yes, I almost always edit emitters in the stage, then "Add to Library", unless there are small changes I what to make to existing library emitters.

My point was, it sounded like you could open the properties dialog for the library when you double-click certain emitters in the library, but not others. If so, then you should get the library properties dialog open however you could, then select the emitter you want to change once it's open.

Alan.

Return to posts index

Steve Thompson
on Mar 26, 2007 at 9:26:55 pm

Alan,

Not to beat a dead horse (Too Late) but I may not have stated things clearly myself.

Originally, certain libraries crashed PI when I double clicked on them.

After doing the reset to defaults, I could open most emitters properties but it was when I closed the property dialogue box that I would get the crash.

I like bringing the emitter to the stage first anyway.

Maybe my graphics card doesn't like things. Not sure. It's an ATI. I used to have an NVidia card and never seemed to have these problems.

I'm just glad to be able to use ALL the emitters again.

Thank you again!

Steve

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Mar 26, 2007 at 9:45:00 pm

[Steve Thompson] "Maybe my graphics card doesn't like things. Not sure. It's an ATI. I used to have an NVidia card and never seemed to have these problems."

Aha! I don't know if I've posted it here recently, but 90%+ of the crashes that people have with the Windows version are due to OpenGL problems (video driver issues) and are usually fixed by getting updated drivers from your video card manufacturer's website. You can test this by using "run with software rendering" or turning off hardware acceleration in the pIllusion preferences dialog -- if the problem goes away with (slow) software rendering, then it is a video driver issue.

Alan.

Return to posts index

Steve Thompson
on Mar 26, 2007 at 9:59:47 pm

Ha ha... Alan this is getting funny.

I did a search before I started the original thread and tried all those options. The thing is that I think now that it is my graphics card.

Now I'm going to hijack my own thread.

I use dual monitors. When I installed this card and booted up my computer, it looked like both monitors was found but when I get to my windows layout... only one screen.

I contacted ATI and jumped through all kinds of hoops without a solution and stumbled across the answer on my own by accident. By leaving one monitor off until the computer is totally booted up, I then turn on the second monitor and voila... two screens. I love technology. :)

I think we're done here, right? :)

As always... many thanks for all you do for us.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]