FORUMS: list search recent posts

Something Weird

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredoray
Something Weird
on Mar 9, 2007 at 3:50:49 am

Just getting started with this program and really dig it... but have wondered about a few things... one is that every once in a while the library window slides over to the left and is totally obscured and I can't find any controls to make it come back over into view. Even if I move the border of the box next to it on the left it is not revealed and stays in the same place... sometimes it is mostly hidden there but I can still see a bit of it. What's going on?

Also I saw that the software was used in major feature films, but doesn't seem to be an HD ready program. How was it used on these big movies if it can't work in HD? Only asking because I'm doing a few shots for a 35mm feature right now and the plates are in HD...

Also wondering if you can SLOW down an emitter as opposed to speeding it up... I need some slow vapor to rise from some gigant nuclear cooling stacks, but everything in pi moves very quickly.

Lotsa questions, I know, but would love to use this program on the movie. Many thanks in advance.

Fred

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Something Weird
on Mar 10, 2007 at 12:56:48 am

Not sure what's going on with your library window, perhaps you need to adjust your monitor settings. Could be that it's stretched too wide or shifted over to the side a few pixels. You can load the standard screen layout by hitting Alt+1 to reset the window, probably your best bet to find a missing window.

To render to HD, you need to use pIRender, which should have installed in the program folder with pI. It lets you open up a project file and render out to big resolutions. Just make sure you set your project to film res in the first place under the Project Settings.

Generally when dealing with smoke emitters, lowering the Velocity and moving the Weight closer to 0 will slow them down. Some might have animation on the Over Life graphs, so increasing the Life will slow them down. It's really something you have to figure out on an emitter by emitter basis by taking a peak at the graphs.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

Fredoray
on Mar 11, 2007 at 9:48:37 pm

Thanks for the response... when you want to set "film res" in the project setting -- is that in the original project setting or the one in the secondary HD output?

I'm assuming the HD thingee is the other program called PI RENDER that's in the folder.

I'm doing these shots next week, so here's hoping! Thanks!

Fred

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Mar 12, 2007 at 3:05:39 am

You have to work the project at your large resolution all the way through, so you need to set the film res within particleIllusion's project settings and then start adding your emitters. There's no tool within pIRender to scale up an existing project, so if the project file you're loading up doesn't already have the stage set to the proper size (2048x1106 or whatever you need), it won't render film res.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

Fredoray
on Mar 12, 2007 at 3:38:17 am

Brilliant -- Thanks...

I just bought your two dvds, so looking forward to learning more... I think I saw some info on enlarging the emitters cause I guess they'll be quite small on a large stage...

Fred

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]