FORUMS: list search recent posts

PI recomended System specs?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ribdog
PI recomended System specs?
on Mar 1, 2007 at 11:33:44 pm

Thinking about dropping coin for PI 3. I tried to find some system specs on the PI web site to see if it will run o.k on my machine?
Does anyone have any info.

I have a dual core AMD processor, Nvidia 7900GT graphics card and 3GB RAM running Windows XP.

Thanks for any info.

RD

Return to posts index

jholste
Re: PI recomended System specs?
on Mar 2, 2007 at 4:14:53 am

Well the box suggests: Windows 98/ME/NT 4/2000/XP; Intel compatable processor at 500 MHz or faster; 128 MB RAM; Video card with OpenGL support; 1024x768 min. resolution; 24/32 bit color depth.

John

Return to posts index

whiteviper1
on Mar 2, 2007 at 5:13:30 am

Yes sir, that will work extremely well..I use 3 gigs of ram +
Nvidia 7600gt 256mb, with intel d dual core...No problems

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Mar 2, 2007 at 9:47:16 am

Do you mean "Recommended" or "Minimum" specs?

A rough rule of thumb for software, especially graphic intensive ones: whatever the box or "minimum requirements" say, double it. Minimum is really never enough because each person's system is different. With PI, especially PI3 with its layers and so on, that really applies.

Recommended specs is always far more realistic, but some software only give you one set of specs. Those who come up with the minimum requirements seem to be referring to a bare-bones operating system. Stuff like security, anti-virus, etc. apps and services start adding up.

Yes, one can and I do tweak as much as I can to cut out unnecessary background stuff going on, but at some point there is only so much one can do -- particularly one has only one system that one uses for everything else besides multimedia creation.

I have a very similar system to whiteviper1 but with only 2 Gb DDRM and it's fine too. Now that the Duo duals are out, so finding an "old" D should be cheap if budget is a problem. (The Duo came out only a few months after I built my new D system.... Argggghhh :)

And, yes, the Duo are better and a bit faster and more energy/heat efficient, but the D are still nothing to sneeze at either. That said, I haven't looked up a point-by-point comparison of the two because I simply don't want to know: I've got what I got -- no point looking at greener pastures I can't afford to munch on right now :)

All that said, I'm a user, not Wondertouch staff, so let's see what feedback you get from them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]