FORUMS: list search recent posts

Q: How Slow Down Overall Speed (Not Velocity or Life) of Emitters?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soiniclight
on Feb 2, 2007 at 12:15:45 am

Applications relevant to question:

-- PI-3 and Sony Vegas 6 (NLE)

General sys specs:

-- Pentium D, 2 Gb. DDRAM2, XP Home SP2

I need a more slow-motion look to the emitters I am creating, i.e. ocean waves, clouds, flying stars, etc. The default emitters tend often move too fast for my work.

So to clarify: What I mean by "speed" is that for example waves need to look slow, natural, to dreamy and ethereal. Not strung out on a case of Red Bull :)

Tweaking either life or velocity does change the speed, BUT it also naturally drastically alters the look of the emitter behavior. No-go. If weight + or -is a factor in some, well, so far tweaking those parameters hasn't worked too well either.

So...

What I am having to do at this point is to knock down the time-line speed of the PI .png files in Vegas to the maximum slow-down Vegas can allow per media event (file in track): 0.25 or quarter speed.

But it's not the optimal solution for various reasons.

Now, my guess is that due to the variety of emitters (area, point, super, etc.) the very nature of the emitter(s) alone or in teamwork may limit any major "slo-mo" speed tweaks. Or not. Dunno. That's why I'm here to ask for some...

... wisdom and advice on this subject. Thanks.

~ Soniclight

PS: I usually work on creating emitters in and as a project before saving them individually as a library. Reason: one can use Ctrl Z to undo changes (r-clicking for "Properties" for an emitter doesn't, as far as my experience with PI-3).

"Moralities, ethics, laws, customs, beliefs, doctrines - these are of trifling import. All that matters is that the miraculous become the norm." ~ Henry Miller

"Yeah, baby. That's groovy, baby." ~ Austin Powers

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Q: How Slow Down Overall Speed (Not Velocity or Life) of Emitters?
on Feb 2, 2007 at 4:11:34 pm

In many cases, the Over Life graphs are what's driving the action, so the shorter the particle's Life, the quicker the animation will be. If you increase the Life to slow them down, you usually have to deal with more particles on screen so you may have to lower the Number graph.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

Soniclight
Re: Q: How to Slow Down Overall Speed (Not Velocity or Life) of Emitters?
on Feb 2, 2007 at 4:54:00 pm

Thanks, Elvis.

I'll go and try using those two parameters in tandem. From what I understand from your suggestion, one has to balance upping one and lowering the other in order to get the right middle ground (desired overall output speed).

(Your name sounds familiar... Haven't I seen it in emitter libraries? If so, hey, I'm dealing with high-tech celebrity here :)

"Moralities, ethics, laws, customs, beliefs, doctrines - these are of trifling import. All that matters is that the miraculous become the norm." ~ Henry Miller

"Yeah, baby. That's groovy, baby." ~ Austin Powers

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:21:28 am

When I want slow mo type particles - as long as the particle shapes are not animated - I just se the project to have a fast frame rate, and then scale each animated property.

So for example, if I set it to 240 FPS (which is 8x30 FPS) then I go into each parameter that's animated, and use the scale function to scale them by 800%. IT can take a whole for more complex emitters but it usually works.

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

----------------------------------------
Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

Soniclight
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:29:33 am

Thanks, that sounds like another good option and I will experiment with that one too. The more options, the better :)

"Moralities, ethics, laws, customs, beliefs, doctrines - these are of trifling import. All that matters is that the miraculous become the norm." ~ Henry Miller.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]