FORUMS: list search recent posts

Widescreen output in PI-- I know it's been discussed, but I still need help

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MattofSmith
Widescreen output in PI-- I know it's been discussed, but I still need help
on Jan 8, 2007 at 4:43:22 am

Hey, I'm working a DV NTSC widescreen video that is at 720x480 resolution. When I load the files that I have to add effects to in PI, as the first layer (Note: I haven't rendered them, these are the video files as captured from my camera to my hard disk by Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0), and set the stage size to 720x480, it doesn't complain. I set the effects I want, and tell it to save output, which it does. But when I import the new avi into Premiere, it is squished.

I have searched all the forums and stuff and I found somewhere talking about 648x486 and stuff. I saved the output from PI with that resolution, and now it's not squished in Premiere, but it's still got the sides cut off, leaving thick black margins on the side of the video.

I don't know what to do. I keep reading about square and nonsquare pixels and .9 and all sorts of stuff that I'm clearly too much of a n00b to understand, but I need to make this point abundantly clear: I DON'T HAVE ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS!

Until now, I have only worked with standard resolution videos, and PI was fine at taking those in, saving output, and loading them back into Premiere. Please... someone help, I have a video project due Tuesday, and I saved the special effects for last!

--Thanks so much,
Matt

Return to posts index

MattofSmith
Re: Widescreen output in PI-- I know it's been discussed, but I still need help
on Jan 8, 2007 at 6:05:26 pm

Hey, I've been working on this all day, and I had an epiphany. I can truncate the sides of the video so that PI exports it as a fullscreen video, then layer it on top of the original widescreen video in Premiere.
So I told PI to make the project size 640x480 (Original is 720x480), and render.
When I load it into Adobe, though. It's the right size, but it only cut off a little bit, and squished the rest.
Am I setting to the wrong resolution?
Help, please!

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jan 8, 2007 at 9:10:11 pm

648x480 should be the right resolution for you to make the clip at. I haven't used Premiere in a long time, but there should be a way to right-click on your clip in the media manager and change its aspect ratio from 1.0 to 0.9 so that the pI clip matches the project.

Your best bet would be to post this question at the CreativeCow Premiere forum. They'll know the right steps you need to take when importing your pI clip.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

Wilbur of Wumbaberry

Return to posts index

MattofSmith
on Jan 8, 2007 at 11:47:05 pm

Hey, there was no Premiere option that I could find, but I found a solution regardless.

Render from PI in 720x480. Load the video into VirtualDub, go to Video > Compression, and choose DivX 6 codec (You should have it), then configure. In the far right tab, tell it to resize with width 720, and save as an AVI. The new AVI loads into Premiere with the right aspect ratio, but a slightly smaller resolution size, even though the clip and the project res are the same. Just use the effect controls to scale the image to the right size.

I hope this helps whoever else runs into this problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]