FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle Illusion unresponsive?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elihu7
Particle Illusion unresponsive?
on Nov 7, 2006 at 4:08:43 am

I had a problem with not being able to import footage, and resolved it by using the Panasonic DV codec.

The program still isn't working like it used to on my old computer though... I used to have a Pentium 4 Vaio with 512 MB of Ram (I'm not sure which graphics card, but it was the included one from Sony)

now I'm using an HP dual core with 2GB of Ram, lots of hard drive space, an Nvidia Gforce 6800 graphics card and Particle Illusion SE (with Open GL acceleration enabled)is both slow and buggy-

when I import a video into the background nothing happens- the screen remains black until I change to frame 2, when the video appears. This isn't a huge gripe, but shows that something is awry- especially when I try playing the clip and it doesn't start moving until Frame 60 or so, or lags and freezes in other parts during playback. Other times, the emitters suddenly become blocky. Extremely blocky- like a flame test will emit little squares that don't have any detail to them, just similar, albeit slow and jumpy movement.

Finally, with my new set up I'm running two monitors off the Nvidia card- could that have any effect on the program? What other possible reasons could explain why this program worked a lot better on a much less powerful older computer???

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Particle Illusion unresponsive?
on Nov 7, 2006 at 7:31:06 am

Sounds to me that it could just be a video driver issue. Do you have the latest certified drivers for the card installed?

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

elihu7
Re: Particle Illusion unresponsive?
on Nov 7, 2006 at 8:32:37 am

ok

I downloaded the most recent drivers from Nvidia and that didn't affect the program- but I noticed something strange. Under preferences, if I try running PI without Open GL hardware acceleration, it runs really slow, about 2 frames per second when you add particles. Yet the operation of the program is flawless...

whereas when I enable hardware acceleration, the effects look good on the right preview box (they're slow without acceleration) running at full speed with no problem, yet when I add the particles into the video, the video just doesn't play, freezing for large sections of frames and sometimes having particle problems.

When I add source video, the video doesn't appear until I move to frame 2 with acceleration, but without acceleration, the video shows up right away and plays fine, albeit slowly. What might I do to improve my hardware acceleration?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]