FORUMS: list search recent posts

New pI3 Emitter Catalog

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lorence
New pI3 Emitter Catalog
on Oct 4, 2006 at 11:12:09 pm

As many of you know, Kim Cuttle keeps an Excel database of all pI3 emitters. Well, I've come up with a different option for those of you who don't have Excel or want a different solution: an html catalog of all of the emitter libraries!

I don't have any links on the website to this yet, since I wanted to get some feedback first. My main concern is that there was a library reorganization on the 3.0 CD, so some people might have an emitter in one library, while the catalog lists it in the "abstract_01" library. Do I want 2 catalog versions? I'm pretty sure I don't want to include the old libraries in the catalog, which would confuse people into thinking they're missing libraries.

I also did not include the contest emitters -- the catalog contains only the libraries that are in the "all_libraries.zip" file that you download when you purchase (which should be the same libraries that are installed with the CD, plus the "all_libraries_since_CD" zip file).

Anyway, download the hrml catalog below. It will unzip into a "catalog" folder, and has subfolders, so make sure you preserve the folders when you unzip.

http://www.wondertouch.com/downloads/catalog.zip (1.7 MB)

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

BobMoyer
Re: New pI3 Emitter Catalog
on Oct 5, 2006 at 12:06:41 am

It may be me (it usually is), but your .zip file will not unzip. It just locks up and I have to kill it through the "Task Manager".

Bob

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Oct 5, 2006 at 12:10:41 am

It unzipped fine for me.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

BobMoyer
on Oct 5, 2006 at 1:07:25 am

Maybe it is a bad download, I'll give it a try again tomorrow. Thanks for the response.

Bob

Return to posts index

Khrysller
on Oct 7, 2006 at 2:24:24 am

try internet explorer..
i tried firefox and it was downloading a corrupt file...

Return to posts index

Cyborg Commando
on Oct 5, 2006 at 9:19:09 pm

Hey

This database is extremely useful but I have 2 problems with it:
1. the images are too small, there are many effects that I can't reconize,
plus it could be even better of you do animate gif to each effect but it's a lot of work.
2. particleIllusion SE version will be great :)

Other than that it's great.

Thank you,
Eran

Return to posts index

AlanMills
on Oct 6, 2006 at 1:11:08 pm

I know I can hardly be called a 'regular' in this forum, dipping in jujst oince in a while but if my 2p counts then....

1) The format certainbly works for me.

2) In an ideal world I would agree that for 'best results' the images are too small. However I appreciate that they are the same icons as used inside the app within the libraries so you've done well with what is naturally available.

3) If a way can be found to animate them then that would be great. That statement then lends itself, to the question of whether the icons within the libraries themselves could be made to be animated example too. Just a thought.

4) Alan, is this intended to be an inclusion on the web site and updated for each library added? If so can I repectfully ask that a downloadable version also be made available for convenience and for those who work on a non-internet box?

5) And while I'm thinking of ways in which to 'find' the emitter I'm looking for (and this comes under the banner of 'enhancement request' I suppose) any chance of being able to assign keywords to emitters for searching and for organising our own libraries however works best for us?

Alan
Just a few thoughts. But I do like this catalogue. It will be very useful. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 6, 2006 at 2:16:27 pm

The images are currently 32x32, but the internal thumbnails are 48x48, so the catalog images *could* be made larger (48x48), but you should see how large the page gets then. It's already a pretty huge page, with over 1800 emitters.

Animated thumbs is something on my "think about" list, but I can't see it happening anytime soon. Generation of the animations couldn't be automatic, storage would become an issue, as would playback. Still thinking about it though.

A downloadable version is what you have already. I won't put the catalog as a page on our site, since it is so large it would take some time to load. Downloading and having local access to it is the best solution I think.

Searchable keywords for libraries is one of the big new features that will be in 3.5.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

LynxFX
on Oct 6, 2006 at 9:04:24 pm

This is a great tool that will help a lot.

Too bad you could put together something like this: http://www.revostock.com/SearchResult-Empty.html
When you hover over the thumbnail, it shows the full animated clip. It would be a ton of work to create all the animations, but on the bright side, it would only have to be done once. :)

Maybe in my freetime I'll try building off of your catalog format and do something like that. No promises, but I'll at least see how long it takes to do a couple.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 6, 2006 at 9:49:22 pm

The catalog is meant to be a short-term solution, since 3.5 will hopefully solve the entire problem. Although it hasn't been developed yet, I'm thinking of doing away with "fixed" libraries altogether. Right now, you load a library, and can select each emitter in that library to see a preview. What I envision is having a keyword "search" box so you can have all of the emitters that fit the search criteria shown. For example, if you enter "fireworks", you'd see all of the emitters that are tagged with that keyword, and then selecting any of them would show it in the preview window as usual.

So spending hours and hours making animated emitter thumbs is a waste of time I think.

Remember, there are over 1800 emitters right now.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

LynxFX
on Oct 7, 2006 at 7:09:11 am

Ahh ok, the search feature sounds pretty cool. What is the ETA of 3.5?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 7, 2006 at 12:14:49 pm

Well, since the feature set is not locked down yet, I don't really know. It won't be until 2007 though, but probably less than 6 months from now.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]