FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 x Problems: Slowing Down Emiters and Output Video too fast

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott J
2 x Problems: Slowing Down Emiters and Output Video too fast
on Oct 3, 2006 at 11:16:53 am

Hi Folks could you please advise on the following as i'm having great dificulty and my university deadline is getting closer.

1. I'm using an emiter to show a kind of dream sequence to some footage, the problem being is that the music is alot slower than the emitter creates itself. How do I slow down the actual creation/life of the emitter? I know I must have overlooked something but I've been through the help/tutorial files with a fine tooth comb.

2. The second problem is when i'm outputting the final file as a quicktime, the actual footage is faster than the source material. I'm imputting DV PAL, 25fps (Quicktime), setting the project settings to 25fps within PI and outputting as DV PAL, 25fps (Quicktime). The final output looks like when u put 24fps into a 25fps project, slightly faster. I'm not sure if this helps but i'm using the normal 'Quicktime' output and not 'Quicktime compressor' as an output in Final Cut.

Thanks Guys.

Scott

Return to posts index

Scott J
Re: 2 x Problems: Slowing Down Emiters and Output Video too fast
on Oct 3, 2006 at 5:20:21 pm

Hi Guys,

Managed to sort out the problem with the final output being too fast, still not sure what the problem was. The solution was to exsport as a string of images at 25fps (as my project is PAL DV). I then took the sequence into SHAKE and exsported it as a Quicktime. I descovered the hardway that final cut does not reconise image sequences and the help files recomend that you use Quicktime Pro to create a movie sequence.

However I'm stills stumped on the slowing down emitter problem. Please Help?

Scott

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Oct 3, 2006 at 6:45:04 pm

The frame rate issue you had sounds strange. Could it be that FCP is reading the file outputted from pI at the wrong frame rate, thinking its 24 instead of 25?

Slowing down an emitter will depend on a number of things. First, do the particles have Velocity? If they do, you'll have to reduce that. If the particles have Spin, you'll have to reduce it as well. Motion Randomness may be another.

Any of the Over Life attributes will be slowed down if you increase the Life of the particles, so that may help as well. So if the Size over Life graph has some animation on it, giving the particles a longer life will have them grow/shrink slower.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

Scott J
on Oct 3, 2006 at 10:57:14 pm

Thanks for the help, tried all your sugestions but none had the desired effect, none slowed the creation of the emitter. The template I used was from January 2006 pack from the wondertouch website (emitters_06_01.il3), its called 'Light Wave 04'. I changed the image with my own photoshop picture and changed the colors, I love this emitter due to the 3D look so hats off to the author. Would this be any of any help? I'm able to slow the the movement of the emitter once its created and starts drifting off screen but not the speed its created.

Thanks

Scott J

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 3, 2006 at 11:23:59 pm

Thanks for picking one of the hardest emitters to figure out.

I've been playing around with it, and can't figure out how to slow it down. I think it's a combination of particle size (the graph is animated), life, and spin. Oh, and the reference point of the particle possibly.

I'm still looking at it.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Scott J
on Oct 3, 2006 at 11:34:01 pm

Thanks for looking into it, i'm constantly at it myself due to the hand in date being Friday!! Nothing like cutting it fine. Tried your sugestions but with no luck.

Thanks

Scott J

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 4, 2006 at 6:10:25 pm

Ok, I have a solution for you, but it's not simple. Well, I guess it is sort of simple, since I've got some project files too.

This type of emitter was really "discovered" by one of the Pro Emitters artists, so I asked him about slowing it down. His reply is below. The "Abstract" Pro Emitters library has more of this type of effect, with much more complexity (believe it or not) so take a look at them. The page is: http://www.wondertouch.com/default.asp?loadContent=pro_emitters.asp

His response:

(Not an easy one to
be adjust by novice PI3 user). Just play around with these changes to get desire
motion or other cool effects.

Changes in parameters:

life 322% from 90%
number
size (frame 1) 32% (34) to (frame 500 (330)) 80% (75%)
velocity 70% from 182%
weight
spin -32% from -62%
motion rand.
bounce
visibility
all variations unchanged
size over life changed
velocity over life changed
weight over life
spin over life changed
motion rand. over life
bounce over life

A little confusing, and a lot of changes, so the project files he modified are available here:
http://www.wondertouch.com/downloads/temp/cow/light_wave_04_slower.zip

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Scott J
on Oct 7, 2006 at 5:51:00 pm

Hi there,

I used the files u posted with great effect, thanks guys for your help. The project looked great and my teachers were wll impressed with the whole thing.
Just got one other problem but will post that as a new thread.

Thanks

Scott J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]