FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lag problems with animations

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bigcot
Lag problems with animations
on Sep 21, 2006 at 6:08:46 am

Hi first of all I would like to say that your program is awsome! But I have been running into trouble with some of the animations, for some reason some of them lag like crazy! For instance I put Boom (Exploding thing with dust flying around) in a video and as soon as I did the program suddenly shot up to 99% CPU usage speed! I'm not sure whats wrong!

My Computer Specs:
AMD 3500+
2 Gigs DDR 333 Dual Channel Ram
Geforce 6600 256mb ram
160 gig hard drive 7200rpm

I don't think it should be lagging with this kind of computer setup. I just wanted to check and see if there is anything that I can do to improve the situation. If not it must a virus or something and I'll just reinstall windows.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Lag problems with animations
on Sep 22, 2006 at 12:21:32 pm

CPU usage percentage is not a good measure of performance. What framerate do you get? The status bar at the bottom of pIllusion shows the framerate. When you click in the preview window or the library window, the framerate shows for the preview window. When you hit the "play" button, the framerate shows for the stage window.

On my laptop, with the "Boom 3" emitter showing in the preview window, the framerate starts off in the upper 20's, but then drops down (which makes sense because more particles are being created over time). The lowest it gets before the emitter repeats (with the repeat set to 2 secs) is about 12.5 fps.

If your framerate is much lower than that, or if you get a warning when pIllusion starts about hardware acceleration, then you need to update your video drivers. Check the Nvidia website for this.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Bigcot
on Sep 22, 2006 at 3:52:10 pm

Ok, I updated drivers, It doesn't lag when I play but it practically freezes when I go to edit video with the effect and go frame by frame. it takes like 20 secs for the next frame to load. It pretty much did the same thing before I updated drivers, but now when I put the effect only without a video I can actually edit it and stuff.

Return to posts index

Bigcot
on Sep 22, 2006 at 3:56:47 pm

ok now its back to being really slow without a movie behind it. Weird.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Sep 22, 2006 at 5:59:45 pm

What frame number are you working at? If you're working at high frame numbers, every change (even going to the next frame) will require all particles to be recalculated from frame 1.

So, instead of working on long sequences, break it up into multiple short sequences.

You could also use the "active" property to turn off any emitters that are no longer visible -- this may help.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Bigcot
on Sep 23, 2006 at 8:54:07 am

Thank you very much it runs smooth now!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Sep 23, 2006 at 12:28:02 pm

What was the problem?