FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alpha exports are ugly? Can't loop with image sequences?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DocBass
Alpha exports are ugly? Can't loop with image sequences?
on Aug 11, 2006 at 8:46:23 am

Hey all-
I'm working with particle illusion on a video game a small team I am on is developing. This particular scene consists of a waterfall splashing into a pool of water. I am doing the waterfall and the splashing as two separate layers. However when I try and export these animations with an alpha channel they acquire a very ugly gray border that is not there within the program. Is this impossible to get around? They of course do not appear if they render straight to video but I can't do anything with that.

On top of that that looping tutorial does not work for image exports because of the alpha mask. Is there a way to do this? Obviously a seamless loop would be essential for a video game where the background is static and one can watch the screen for as long as they wish. Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Alpha exports are ugly? Can't loop with image sequences?
on Aug 11, 2006 at 4:00:13 pm

The "ugly" colors are due to the "remove black bg from RGB... " option. Uncheck that.

You can load each layer (sequence) into another compositing app and loop them there. The tutorial on our site is for those who don't have a compositing app.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

DocBass
on Aug 11, 2006 at 4:18:40 pm

I don't have that option checked. I also put shrink up to 20% and did a "non-hard" alpha or whatever it was called. I still get a gray outline but to a much lesser extent, but it's not quite the same as the beautiful quality if what you see straight in particle illusion.

Any recommendations on a good compositing program that won't break the bank? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Aug 11, 2006 at 4:25:14 pm

Check the pIllusion docs in the alpha channel section for more info on getting a good alpha channel (depends on what sorts of particles you have).

Any video editing / compositing software will work. I'm pretty sure that people have posted about free ones here before... hopefully somebody else will remember more details.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Aug 11, 2006 at 5:23:26 pm

There's Wax, which I think should do the job. There's also the open-source Jahshaka, which just put out a new release. Some editing programs should be able to do it too, just so long as you can have more than two video tracks and you can export a clip with an alpha channel.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]