FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advanced disintegration ?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teasider
Advanced disintegration ?
on Jul 10, 2006 at 9:21:57 am

Hey all,
I know youve must been tired of questions about this subject.. but i hope youll answer anyway :)

I read the disintegrate people tutorial , but simple dots arent enough. If you press the download video in that tutorial (at http://www.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=23&page=/articl... you could see the human disintegrate a lot 'cooler' than some dots.. I guess it involvs building the emitter after applying all the stuff to it, or before?

Can I use a ready emitter and change the options there to make the man disintegrate ? (like twirling emitter or somthing like that)

Thanks in advance to all helpers!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Advanced disintegration ?
on Jul 10, 2006 at 12:29:49 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. You say that simple dots are not enough, but then point to Elvis' example, and say that it's a good example of more than simple dots. But that example just uses simple dots for the particles!

Perhaps you are asking about the particle motion after disintegration? It all depends on what your scene is. In Elvis' example, he gets shot from the right, so he has the particles move slightly to the left (using the emitter's emission angle and range), and has them fall (using a fairly high "weight" value).

You can also use forces to make the particles "scatter" in more than one direction.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Teasider
on Jul 10, 2006 at 2:49:21 pm

Hey ,
if youll take example from the movie posted in the tutorial here ::
http://www.creativecow.net/articles/deane_elvis/disintegratePeople/smokeyDi...

youll see that there arent any dots at all.. Im particually after the effect he made while 'coming back' from particles in that short clip.

if youll watch it youll know what I mean. how can I preform that effect ?

Thanks again for your time!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jul 10, 2006 at 2:56:47 pm

Ah, I forgot about that clip. Just use any particle shape image you want. In this case, Elvis used an animated sequence of a "curly smoke" image. He also used Forces to "blow" the particles in different ways.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jul 10, 2006 at 6:42:03 pm

Yeah, that's the only difference between the emitters in the two versions. An animated particle shape can make all the difference, and bringing Forces into a scene add a lot of randomness and realism that you just don't get from an emitter all by its lonesome.

Return to posts index

Teasider
on Jul 11, 2006 at 10:44:39 am

He used a certian shape (curley smoke.. is that in any of the libraries?) , but in the tutorial it says to use the size of 5.. also If i use a shape thats too big you loose the shape of the person .. so how did it happen ?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jul 11, 2006 at 12:29:54 pm

Just do it. It's a combination of the particle shape (bitmap), size, size variation, etc. We can't give you a formula to try -- you have to experiment.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Chortorn
on Jul 18, 2006 at 10:37:46 pm

In the clip the person is reappears after being disintergrated.
Is it made in a compositing program or is there a way to make particles fly "backwards" - or reverse the timeline in a single layer etc.?

Chortorn

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jul 19, 2006 at 2:07:39 am

I first reversed the footage of me walking across the screen, and imported it into pI as my background. I used the techniques described in all those tutorials to make the smoke fly away from the backwards walking me. Then I rendered the particles flying off in every direction

After that I reversed the playback of the rendered particles in my compositing program, and laid them over the original video where I was walking straight ahead, so that it would look like the particles were flying in and settling down.

Took me a while to figure it out the first time, but once I know what I was doing it wasn't hard to do again (though it is a bit time consuming because of all the preparation).

Return to posts index

shadu
on Jul 10, 2006 at 1:11:07 pm

Just lower the particle size and raise a lot their number. It will do the trick. They will not look like dot anymore but particle of dust.

Shadu

Return to posts index

dominick
on Jul 11, 2006 at 12:40:34 am

as the others pointed out... you can use any emitter as the particle. They could be shaped like stars if you wanted ;)

Return to posts index

joe cinquina
on Jul 19, 2006 at 6:48:11 pm

The best way to learn a piece of Software is to experiment yourself. There is no better way. You become more efficent and less time then relying on tutorials. Now that I have said that, there is a problem for those who own tools like particle illusion, but are on tight schedules and are looking for cool effects for their clients project's and don't have the time to invest to learn it top / bottom. This is exactally my situation now. Between, pre-production, production, editing and so on, sometimes a tutorial is a life saver. My current situation is that I need to be able to form a figure out of debre that is swirling around from the wind. The current tutorial for this effect referneced in this thread just wont do, but the video attached to the project is perfect. Any chance and see a tutorial that reflects the video?

Thanks.

Joe Cinquina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]