Wrong alpha saving. Help!

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fakamaz
Wrong alpha saving. Help!
on Jul 1, 2006 at 4:52:36 pm

Hi All,
I have one nasty problem here.
Recently, PI has started saving alpha in a strange way.
I have a fire (particles) animation under the background picture with alpha on separate layers where fire is the lowest one.
When I save pic sequence as TGA (Save Alpha, Remove Black) I come across a very strange effect. Looking at the picture from a sequence in any viewer (I`am using IrfanView, for example) you see correct picture as I planned it, but when you open it in Photoshop - you will have only half of it visible, the part which was inside particles only. So no layers from PI, no alpha, hence I cannot use such a file at all.
I was trying to save the file in different formats, using intensive and non-intensive alpha,keep black and remove black, moving backgroud picture to layer with fire - nothing happened - still the same result - file was saved incorrectly.
Any suggestions what to do?
Here is one pic, so you can try to have a look at it in both Photoshop and any other viewer.
http://www.57-th.com/z0005.tga

Thanks for any help!
Best,
Iggy.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Wrong alpha saving. Help!
on Jul 1, 2006 at 7:51:44 pm

Your problem is that particleIllusion doesn't include the alpha of any background images, just the alpha channel of the particles. There's no setting that will fix it.

The solution is to hide the background image, render just the particles, and put the two images together inside Photoshop/After Effects. It's an annoying extra step, but there's not getting around it if you need an alpha channel for your final image.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

Fakamaz
on Jul 1, 2006 at 9:54:54 pm

I see. Strange thing is - I could render such images normally a while ago. Got this problem a day or two only.
Did I made something wrong which couse this problem or it is just a programm bug btw?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jul 3, 2006 at 4:08:36 pm

It's not a bug -- it was designed that way (for some reason). The alpha channel from background images is not used.

Probably something that should be changed in 3.5. =)

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Fakamaz
on Jul 4, 2006 at 5:16:38 pm

Well, saving frames with background alpha will be really nice 8) Will help spending less time getting everything togather.
Thanks for answers! And... PI is a great programm anyway! 8)

Best,
Iggy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]