FORUMS: list search recent posts

Babylong 5 Shadow Craft Beam Effect

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trelawney
Babylong 5 Shadow Craft Beam Effect
on Jun 21, 2006 at 11:28:41 pm

Hi all!

I don't know if any of you remember the (scary) Shadows from Babylon 5?

I've attempted a short animation using Vue 5 Infinite, and wanted to add a Shadow craft beam weapon to 'carve-up the screen' in the end sequence.

So far here are the results, but as the PI Emitter I chose sends particles rather than a beam, I am not able to sweep it around as intended.

The Coming of the Shadows Animation

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could improve this effect please?

This static render I made where I modelled the beam in V5I gives a better idea of the look and feel of the beam effect I am trying to reproduce (except animated in PI3).

The Coming of the Shadows Render

Kind regards

Roderick Davies (UK)

Return to posts index

Dionysus
Re: Babylong 5 Shadow Craft Beam Effect
on Jun 22, 2006 at 7:01:27 am

Privet,

As an outsider (I have not watched the series). I'm a bit confused due to the beam you actually wanting to generate. It looks so solid centered. I misunderstood it would be part of the body of Shadow. As a video gamer, I suggest add a light bubble/ring enlarging suddenly from the muzzle at the time it radiates the beam.

Best regards

--
Thomash's music works and amateur artwork

Wanna send me an email? Do it now!

Return to posts index

Trelawney
on Jun 22, 2006 at 12:47:50 pm

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion.

I guess it's hard to understand the movement of the effect without having seen the B5 series (it's a very striking effect), however in the animation I made, the PI3 beam I used was static and shot in one direction due to the restriction of it emitting particles. As I mentioned the effect I am looking for would 'carve-up' the screen like a continuous linear beam (probably with the effect getting slightly larger toward the camera to get the sense of depth).

The static render is just my 3D interpretation of the effect >8o) - In fact it simply consists of red and purple cylinders inside each other, mapped with a animating lava-type effect, and set to glow, but this is for comparison purposes with the PI3 effect if you were able to view the animation clip, where the Shadow ship attacks the viewer.

Thanks again for looking!

Return to posts index

shadu
on Jun 23, 2006 at 10:23:37 am

I was, n... i am still a big fan of B5 but i never try to make the effect in PI or in 3D. I search for some other shot to help me see the beam but i found this one...

http://www.b5tech.com/science/weapons/deathray/deathray.html

Some time ago i made a beam from some trick find on this forum... try a search about zat gun effect or beam effect on the forum. Here is a emitter i made for a friend.

http://www.imaginethisproductions.net/test/laser.ip3

Try to alter the color and the shape of the emitter. It will be a good start.

By the way, the texture of your shadow cruiser move too much. Slow it down and try to make the pattern less apparent.

Shadu

Return to posts index

Trelawney
on Jun 23, 2006 at 11:17:40 am

Hi Shadu

Much obliged for the links and especially the PI3 file - I agree that's a definite good place to start!

Now to try it out >8o)

Many thanks

Return to posts index

shadu
on Jun 24, 2006 at 11:25:09 am

No prob.

Give me news about it.

Shadu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved