FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logo evaporating to smoke????

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Briody
Logo evaporating to smoke????
on Jun 19, 2006 at 3:43:04 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions in doing this effect. I need to have a logo evaporate into smoke. I actually have a short test (2 meg) done that is exactly what the client wants -

http://www.weddingsoftherockies.com/smoke2.mov

This test was done with Particle Playground in After Effects. It's blowing particles off of a layer using another layer (a swirling smoke mask) to control the blowing smoke.

The big problem with using Particle Playground is that the effects don't seem to scale well. If I try the exact thing at a higher resolution, the amount of particles used grows exponentially. My dual core machine with 2 gigs of ram crashed after trying to render a frame at just 800x600. The single frame ran 6 hours before it locked my machine.

Particle Illusion is a much more powerfull particle solution so I think the answer lies with using this package. But I've tried some things and I just can't get anything close to this look.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mark

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Logo evaporating to smoke????
on Jun 19, 2006 at 6:11:04 pm

Which part of it are you having trouble with, the swirling particles? If that's the case, then I would apply a couple of forces, animate their directions, strengths (maybe), and possible size (the size of the rectangle) and you should be able to get something swirly like this.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Mark Briody
The problem I'm having
on Jun 19, 2006 at 8:34:16 pm

The problem I'm having is getting the logo to look like it's being blown away from left to right.

I've used the 'get color from layer' a lot in PI, so I'm familar with that. But how would you 'take color' from a layer?

I'll try to explain what I mean - In basic PI emitters using 'color from layer' the color seems to steam continuosly from the layer. How would you simulate just one layer of color, meaning that when it became a particle the layer color was also gone.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: The problem I'm having
on Jun 19, 2006 at 8:44:16 pm

Elvis did a tutorial on just this (or just about it). Go back to the post listings, click the photo of Elvis at the top of the page, then click the "disintegrate a logo" tutorial.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Mark Briody
on Jun 19, 2006 at 8:53:02 pm

Thanks Alan,

That's basically what I need to do except for one thing. In that tutorial the particles come off in a nice straight edge.

The client I'm working for really wants the logo to blown off in a swirling organic looking fashion.

Here is what I'm trying now -

Create an AVI in After Effects using my smoke transition as a gradient wipe to solid black. It should look like the logo is transitioning to black in an organic smoky way.

Then take the AVI into Particle Illusion and have position a smoke emmiter on top this, animating the position to follow the logo.

Return to posts index

Dionysus
on Jun 20, 2006 at 4:33:34 pm

http://www.geocities.jp/ifurkend/illusion.html

I appreciate the smoke fx shown in your clip. But I can actually mimic a near effect (not the most). The fact is, some particles texture which got color from background, temporarily cover the particles which got color from logo during the motion. Thus creating an animated cloud effect without the use of animated cloud texture. I know it's confusing since my harsh English. So download my project file and you may understand the trick.

--
Thomash's music works and amateur artwork

Wanna send me an email? Do it now!

Return to posts index

Mark Briody
Thanks!
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:43:37 pm

Thanks! I will download your project and have a look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]