FORUMS: list search recent posts

align to motion

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chortorn
align to motion
on Apr 29, 2006 at 4:48:38 pm

I want to make particles point in the same direction as the emitter is moving. It should not be a problem at all, but checking "align to motion" and "keep aligned to motion" and "Use emitter's angle and range" does not seem to do the trick. Nor does any combination of them. What do I do wrong?

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: align to motion
on Apr 29, 2006 at 7:49:36 pm

"Use emitter's angle and range" just creates new Emitter Range and Emitter Angle graphs for the particle type, which won't help you in this case. Align to Motion should do what you're looking for, you can also change the number in the box beside it to rotate the particle in the right initial direction. Tt really shows best when you have a high Motion Randomness setting.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on May 1, 2006 at 12:01:01 pm

I don't think you can do it automatically. "Align to motion" is for particles -- aligns them to the direction they are moving (not the direction the emitter is moving). It might work to check the "attached to emitter" option and move the slider to the far left, but it might not work and even if it does it may not be exactly what you want.

I think you'll have to manually keyframe the emission angle (with a low emission range) to get the results you want.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Chortorn
on May 1, 2006 at 2:04:09 pm

[Alan Lorence] "I don't think you can do it automatically. "Align to motion" is for particles -- aligns them to the direction they are moving (not the direction the emitter is moving). It might work to check the "attached to emitter" option and move the slider to the far left, but it might not work and even if it does it may not be exactly what you want.

I think you'll have to manually keyframe the emission angle (with a low emission range) to get the results you want."

>>

Yes, that was what I concluded too. I tried to export the emitter's position data and manipulate them in AE by this expression in rotation:

radiansToDegrees(Math.atan2(this.position[1] - this.position.valueAtTime(time - 0.03)[1], this.position[0] - this.position.valueAtTime(time - 0.03)[0]))

It makes the object point it's nose forward all the time. Then I converted the expression into keyframes and copied it. However, Particle Illusion does not allow import of anything but position data, which means - as you have said - it has to be done manually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]