FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering to a widescreen format (16:9 ratio)

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
McRibs
Rendering to a widescreen format (16:9 ratio)
on Apr 16, 2006 at 3:42:53 am

I'm doing a film in 16:9 wide screen (res. 720 x 480) and i wish to use an explosion for the title screen. However the explosion I create, when rendered, is in 4:3 (res 720x480) I have changed the project settings and aspect overlays. I have used the ratios suggested and it still doesn't fill my screen correctly. it leaves a large amount of the left and the right side of the screen unfilled as the exposion seems to disappear or clip out where a 4:3 formatted screen would normally end.

How can i get P.I. to render in a widescreen mode?

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Rendering to a widescreen format (16:9 ratio)
on Apr 16, 2006 at 4:28:55 am

I think we're gonna need a little more info to help you out.
When you say your footage is "16:9 wide screen (res. 720 x 480)", do you mean that your footage is 720x480 with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, or was it shot with a 16:9 filter on the camera to squeeze the footage? What is the pixel aspect ratio of your footage as well?

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

Kurtmo
on Apr 20, 2006 at 12:30:45 pm

I just tried something similar (using the PI 2.0 SE demo) with film shot on a Canon Elura in 16:9 widescreen. This creates a widescreen image wiht pixel ratio of 1.21 or so (it's not on this computer, so I can't remember the exact number).

With the 2.0 SE or the full version of 3.0 is it possible to render to 720x480? Is it possible to render to 720x480 with the stretched pixel ratio? Can I do so with piRender?

Thanks in advance,

Kurtmo

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Apr 20, 2006 at 6:40:19 pm

pI only does square pixels at this point. If you're bringing in a background that has a different pixel aspect ratio, you'll need to do a little pre-processing to get things to look right in the end.

For example if you were editing a DV project, 720x480 with a 0.9 pixel aspect ratio, and wanted to add some pI effects to a shot, you'd export the shot out of your editing program with square pixels (648x480). If you were to bring that finished clip out of pI and into After Effects for example, you would tell AE that the clip has square pixels, and it would stretch the clip out to fit the 720 width of the project.

I'm not sure what the 16x9 widescreen equivalent is. A quick check on Google tells me that its 854x480, but I don't think that fits with the 1:1.21 which is what I thought the pixel aspect ratio was as well.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

Kurtmo
on Apr 24, 2006 at 2:27:30 pm

Thanks.

I tried exporting from Vegas using square pixels several times and failed. Whenever I would export a TGA sequence of my particles, it would not line up correctly.

Finally, this morning I figured out the issue. PI is operating in a WYSIWG manner. The visible portion of the "stage" was clipped and therefore clipping the images I was creating(I had noticed theat the images created were not 720x480, even though my stage was). I dragged all the tool windows to make my visible image large than the 720x480 and all was good. I didn't have time to see if things worked OK without exporting my widescreen avi as square pixels. I'm thinging it will work out.

Kurt

Return to posts index

McRibs
on May 7, 2006 at 8:25:12 am

Okay. Let me see if I can put this down correctly.

I shot on my Cannon XL1s in movie frame mode. Which captures raw footage at 720 X 480 resolution with an pixel ratio of 1.2 (considered DV AVI 16:9 widescreen).When i import the footage as a back ground to P.I. it matches the whole frame and the stage is set to match the 720 X 480 res. I applied the effects and alt+3 to remove pannels and see whole frame. this itself is correctly 720 x 480 with 1.2 pixel ratio. However, when I render the file (.avi uncompressed) through P.I. it outputs in a 0.9 pixel ratio. What it appears to do is smash the 1.2 ratio to 0.9 and by doing so cannot be used with the other footage and creates a strage distortion to the image.

Return to posts index

Kurtmo
on May 8, 2006 at 12:26:58 am

When I tried this, I ended up using the raw widescreen footage (1.2). I brought that into PI as my reference background. Created my PI effect. I turned off my background and then rendered out a PI TGA series. I went to my NLE (Vegas) and added my orignial footage and then I added my PI series and screened the overlay. My original footage is wide, but the image sequence is square so I just changed the ratio on the image sequence to 1.21 and everything lined up perfectly!

Kurtmo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]