FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help Request. Stopping an emitter emitting but...

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve_R
Help Request. Stopping an emitter emitting but...
on Apr 4, 2006 at 2:56:20 pm

Hi all, possibly a dumb question but I have not been able to work this out.

In an animation I am working on I am using a sparkly type emmitter. What I would like to happen at frame 50 is for the emitter ro stop emitting new particles but the particles that have already been emitted aloowed to finish of their activity.

I have only achieved the removal of the entire emiiter at a certain fram so far and so is no use. Might be nissing the obvious but I'd be grateful for some help.

Thanks
Steve

SteveR
http://www.stever.demon.co.uk

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Help Request. Stopping an emitter emitting but...
on Apr 4, 2006 at 5:38:19 pm

You can animate the Number graph to do this. Set a keyframe at frame 50 with the value of 100 (or whatever it started out at), and then add another keyframe at frame 51 with a value of 0. The particles on screen should continue to go about their business, but nothing new will be born.

--
Elvis Deane!

The Apprentice Magician's Guide to particleIllusion

The particleIllusion FAQ

Return to posts index

Steve_R
on Apr 5, 2006 at 8:50:43 am

Ahh! Yes, that makes sense. I was messing with some of the other functions in a similar vein. But the number would probably be the obvious one I guess.

Thanks Elvis, I will give that a go but I am sure it will work.

Steve

SteveR
http://www.stever.demon.co.uk

Return to posts index

Paul Hansen
on Apr 5, 2006 at 7:40:44 pm

What I do when I want the emitter to stop but let the particles that have already been emitted continue is take the Life of the emitter down to zero... works for me.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Apr 5, 2006 at 9:13:59 pm

Interesting approach. Probably ineffiecient though, as particleIllusion will still be creating particles, then killing them right away -- I think. The cleaner solution is to step the 'number' property down to 0 so no more particles are created.

Other methods that appear to work but again are not the best solutions: decrease 'visibility' to 0 (still calculating all of the particles, and drawing them invisible); decrease 'size' to 0 (still calculating and drawing); decrease 'zoom' to 0.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Paul Hansen
on Apr 7, 2006 at 3:02:24 am

Thanks, Alan... tried what you said and it DOES work better than the way I've done it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]