FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't import DV AVI.....why not?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frodo1987
Can't import DV AVI.....why not?
on Feb 13, 2006 at 2:37:40 pm

When I attempt to import a Digital Video AVI into the background, the program crashes. I can import it if I decrease the quality a lot, but this is for a movie I'm making, and poor quality doesn't cut it. What's up?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Can't import DV AVI.....why not?
on Feb 13, 2006 at 5:40:27 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "decreasing quality a lot".

particleIllusion (Windows) will only be able to import DV if you have installed a DV codec. If you don't have one, you'll get the "AVI Request Format Error" message. Since you're not getting this, I assume you have one installed.

Since you say it crashes, can you give more details? I'm guessing that the file you're loading is too big -- like you're trying to load a 30-minute clip into pIllusion. I suggest breaking it up into short clips, then loading those.

Also, if you're concerned about quality, the movies you load into pIllusion should be used for reference only, and you should be saving the pIllusion output as a TGA sequence with alpha channel. Your final compositing (of the pIllusion effects and the original movie) should be done in a separate compositing app.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

frodo1987
on Feb 16, 2006 at 3:21:26 am

I actually get two seperate error messages, and the clips are only a few minutes long at the most. Here are the messages I get when I attempt to import one of my clips.

#1. Error initializing AVI.

#2. Error: Access violation at 0x0040471f (tried to read from 0x000000AC), program terminated.

Anyway, supposing I do import my videos, what program would you suggest for the compositing? And how would I composit them? Would Adobe After Effects be a suitable program for that? Thanks,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Feb 16, 2006 at 12:16:54 pm

You should consider only bringing in the portion of video/shot that you want to add particles too, rather than a clip of several minutes. Then when you're done, you can just drop the clip into your editing/compositing program after a short render time, rather than rendering out a few minutes in pI.

After Effects would be fine for the compositing. Here's a tutorial that will probably answer most questions you have when using the two together.
http://www.wondertouch.com/tutorials/aharon/AE/Tut_AE_1.htm

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

frodo1987
on Feb 16, 2006 at 5:00:09 pm

As I said, I never use clips more than a minute long; they're usually 30 seconds or less. I'm going to have to try that tutorial, though. That might be what I need. Thanks,

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]