FORUMS: list search recent posts

Demo Version Crashes When Trying To Render AVI

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
C. Spafford
Demo Version Crashes When Trying To Render AVI
on Jan 28, 2006 at 11:14:04 am

Hello, all. I just found out about this great program, and downloaded the V3 demo, and installed it on my system. I run WinXP Pro SP2, a P4 2.8HT, and have 2 Gigs of memory. I use an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card. Anyways, my problem is that when I try to save the output as an AVI file, I get the first box asking what to name it, and where to save it, and in what format. I complete that box, and the second render box shows up, and I complete that just by clicking the OK selection. But when it comes time for the Compression settings box to come up, the program ALWAYS encounters an Exception, and crashes.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do about this issue? I'd love to really give this program a trial run, because I have been looking to purchase just this very thing!

Thanks for your time!!

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
Re: Demo Version Crashes When Trying To Render AVI
on Jan 28, 2006 at 9:26:45 pm

Update: The error message I get each time is as follows:

Access violation at 0x1D6A2425 (Tried To Read From 0x00000048), program terminated.

I've found that I can save the sequence as .bmp or .png files, but it will just not render to avi.

Any ideas anyone?

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jan 29, 2006 at 6:17:59 am

I'm not too sure what it could be, other than perhaps a driver issue. Try this:
Under View>Preferences, click the OpenGL tab and uncheck 'Use hardware acceleration'. Restart pI, and try rendering an AVI again.

If AVIs no longer crash, then its a driver issue so you'll need to grab the latest certified ATI driver.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
on Jan 29, 2006 at 8:30:34 am

Thanks for your reply, Elvis. I tried what you suggested, but got the same exception as before, and always. I do have the latest ATI drivers, btw, but I tried your suggestion anyway. This is very disappointing for me, because this program looks to be exactly what I've been looking for. Bummer.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 29, 2006 at 2:35:46 pm

I think there's a codec that you have installed that is causing problems for pIllusion. Can you give me a list of the codecs that are installed on your machine?

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 29, 2006 at 2:41:22 pm

I forgot to say how to do this: Start - Settings - Control Panel - Sounds and Audio devices. Then click the "hardware" tab, select "video codecs" from the bottom of the list, then click the "properties" button. Then switch to the "properties" tab.

You can take a screengrab of that and send it to me as a jpg or something (at wondertouch support).

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
on Jan 29, 2006 at 6:33:56 pm

Very well then. What I'm going to do is to post the information here, so that if anyone else has the same problem in the future, they can just refer to this thread. Sound good? Alright then, here is what is listed in the results, including all capitalization and such:
ATIYUV12.DLL
CineForm HD VFW Codec
DivX :-) MPEG-4 Video Codec (Fast-Motion)
DivX :-) MPEG-4 Video Codec (Low-Motion)
DivX 5.0 codec
ffdshow Video Codec
Fraps Video Decompressor
Indeo codec By Intel
Indeo video 5.10
ir41_32.ax
IYUV_32.dll
IYVU9_32.dll
mcdv-pro.dll
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec
Microsoft RLE Codec
Microsoft Video 1
Microsoft Windows Media Video 9 VCM
msh261
msh263
msyuv.dll
msyuv.dll << YES, it's listed twice >>
PICVideo MJPEG Codec
Pinnacle PIM1 32-bit AVI Codec
XviD MPEG-4 Video Codec

OK, there you have the complete list. I really hope you can figure out which one is the issue!! Thank you very much for your time and efforts on this!!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 29, 2006 at 8:11:43 pm

If it were my system, I'd remove one of the duplicate codecs as a first step.

If that doesn't do it, I think we'll need people to help out here and list their codecs as well, so we can figure out which ones are fine, then by a process of elimination, we should be able to narrow it down to a couple of codecs that might be the problem.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
on Jan 30, 2006 at 7:24:16 am

I did as you suggested, without any change. Still gets the exception. Does WinXP Pro store all the video codecs in just one directory, and if so, where is that directory? I can try moving them out one by one to see if that helps.

Otherwise, I think your last suggestion would be great! I would suggest that you be the one to make the new thread requesting that information, seeing as how I'm just a newbie and all... :-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Bellune
on Jan 31, 2006 at 2:51:08 am

I would start with the DivX codecs and ffdshow. I primarily use Adobe Video Production software, and these codecs have caused no end of grief to Adobe users. Maybe pI doesn't like them, either.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
on Jan 31, 2006 at 6:29:14 am

Thanks for the idea, however, after removal via the control panel applet, PI still gets the same old exception and crashes.... It was worth a try, however! :-)

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 31, 2006 at 1:27:30 pm

So are you saying that you removed the DivX codecs and ffdshow and it still crashed? That means the list is now:

ATIYUV12.DLL
Fraps Video Decompressor
mcdv-pro.dll
PICVideo MJPEG Codec
Pinnacle PIM1 32-bit AVI Codec

If you still have the installers for these codecs, or know how they were installed (so can reinstall them), then remove one at a time and see what happens.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
on Jan 31, 2006 at 4:31:10 pm

My ATI and Pinnacle codecs I use daily, so I'm not prepared to remove those just yet. However, there is something I can do this weekend. I'm upgrading to a new mobo with AMD 64 X2 4600 on Friday, so right after installing WinXP 64, I'll be sure to install PI right off, and see if it will render AVIs at that time or not.

IF it does, then I'll just do a quick test after each install of my other NL editing software to try to see what the offending culprit is.

I'll post back asap with the results. Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 31, 2006 at 4:51:14 pm

You're using the demo version still, right? (too lazy to scroll all the way up the thread) It will work in x64, but if you decide to purchase, you'll have to contact wondertouch support since we haven't released an x64 version yet officially.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
on Jan 31, 2006 at 5:54:16 pm

Yes, I'm using the Demo version until I can determine if the program will work on MY system. :-)

So, are you saying the demo works on x64, but the full program, as it is available now, will not??

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 31, 2006 at 8:30:40 pm

(this is a long thread)

The demo does work on x64. The released version does not -- you have to contact support in order to get a released version that does work on x64.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

C. Spafford
on Jan 31, 2006 at 8:50:35 pm

I understand now. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]