FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why are PI Rendered Files So Large (or is it just me?)

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bjohnston
Why are PI Rendered Files So Large (or is it just me?)
on Jan 19, 2006 at 2:43:05 pm

Hello all. It appears to me that rendered files that are output from particle illusion seem to be inordinately large in size. Why should me tiffs or tga's be 6 and 8 Mb per frame? What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Why are PI Rendered Files So Large (or is it just me?)
on Jan 19, 2006 at 7:51:25 pm

You can enable compression for TGAs which will help with this. Make sure the "compression" option is checked in the output options dialog. TGA compression is lossless, meaning there is no quality loss.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jan 19, 2006 at 7:54:51 pm

How big (in pixels) are the files? That seems really bizarre, I just rendered some standard DV sized TIFs with a ton of colours, and they were in the range of 300kb to 1.3 megs. HD sized images could have much larger file sizes though, I've had 4 or 5 meg TGAs when rendering out 1280x720 images.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

bjohnston
on Jan 20, 2006 at 1:03:42 am

I am rendering at the 1280 x 720 resolution, but much of my screenspace is black with the emitter taking up say only 1/2 of the space. I surmise that the black part of the image data is stored when rendering with save alpha on. Just seemed inordinately large for doing nothing but approx. doubling the resolution from 720 x 480. Thanks for the suggestion for compressed tga. The reason that I didn't use "compressed" is I wanted artifact-free renders. Is the "lossless" compression of the tga's truly lossless?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 20, 2006 at 3:39:54 am

Yes, it is truly lossless. It's RLE compression.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]