FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is the Work Flow Between Particle Illusion and AE?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Goldstein
What is the Work Flow Between Particle Illusion and AE?
on Jan 17, 2006 at 8:23:54 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a particle effects solution to create some fire, fog, cloud and water effects for a film. I was
hoping to find a plug in for After Effects, but so far haven't found anything that was realistic or controlable enough.

What are people's thoughts on Particle Illusion in terms of its capabilities and results?

What is the work flow between Particle Illusion and AE? That is, how do you work with footage from an AE comp and how do you get your results into AE, etc.?

Thank you for your help,

Eric Goldstein
Giraffe Film Company
Los Angeles
eric@giraffefilm.com

Return to posts index

EVideoM
Re: What is the Work Flow Between Particle Illusion and AE?
on Jan 18, 2006 at 12:53:35 am

I think you would just render an uncompressed clip that you want to add PI to, make the changes with PI, then import the clip into AE when you are done. There are some other little things like channels that you will probably get stuck on in the beginning , but thats about it.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Jan 18, 2006 at 5:42:10 am

It's really just a matter of bringing footage in as a background layer, from AE or another program, then rendering out a sequence of images with an alpha channel. Once that's done, you can bring the sequence into AE, and composite it over the footage again, or just go straight out from pI to a video clip.

You can import position data from AE, and use that to drive the position of an emitter in pI, which is a more solid example of how the two work together. So if you've tracked something in AE, you can use that data to match an effect to something in your live action footage, without a lot of fuss.

Aharon covers a lot of this stuff on both his DVD and in a number of tutorials on the wondertouch site (under the Integration with Other Software heading)

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

Eric Goldstein
on Jan 18, 2006 at 6:07:00 am

Elvis and others,

Thanks for the info.

Eric

Eric Goldstein
Giraffe Film Company
Los Angeles
eric@giraffefilm.com

Return to posts index

Dakota Joe
on Jan 21, 2006 at 8:05:08 am

gosh darn it, i bet PI would make a simply marvelous AE plugin... ;o]

Return to posts index

Eric Goldstein
on Jan 21, 2006 at 5:37:32 pm

Is PI the same software that is a plug in that comes with Combustion?

Eric

Eric Goldstein
Giraffe Film Company
Los Angeles
eric@giraffefilm.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 21, 2006 at 6:38:52 pm

The particle system in Combustion is particleIllusion 2.0 -- Discreet licensed it a few years back.

Note that it's the same version of the engine as in particleIllusion SE. Pretty capable, but not nearly as powerful as particleIllusion 3.0.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Eric Goldstein
on Jan 21, 2006 at 6:59:08 pm

Thanks Alan,

I remember working with it (or trying to work with it) in Combustion. The problem at that time was more the bugs in Combustion...

Is there any expectation that PI will become a plug in for AE in the near future?

Eric Goldstein
Giraffe Film Company
Los Angeles
eric@giraffefilm.com

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 21, 2006 at 7:32:06 pm

Yes, in the next few months we'll be releasing our AE plug-in version of particleIllusion, but it won't have as much emitter editing capability as the standalone. You'll be able to use all of the emitter libraries (over 1400 emitters and growing each month) and be able to change some of the most common parameters, but to make extensive edits (like to change the particle color gradients, or "over life" properties) you'll need to use the standalone version.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Eric Goldstein
on Jan 21, 2006 at 7:47:24 pm

Alan,

Thanks for the info.

Eric Goldstein
Giraffe Film Company
Los Angeles
eric@giraffefilm.com

Return to posts index

Dakota Joe
on Jan 25, 2006 at 4:29:55 am

I really need to work with PI now, even though I have been holding out for the AE plug. If I buy PI3 now, will I get a price break on the AE plugin when it comes out?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]