FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making Shadows / Adding Realism to the Effects

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ScottyJ
Making Shadows / Adding Realism to the Effects
on Jan 5, 2006 at 12:10:01 am

Hey,

I'm pretty new to particle illusion 3. I was wondering if any of you guys could let me in on some tips to making the effects look realistic. I know that the particles are realistic looking, but if i were to make a meteor heading for earth, you would think that you would see a shadow of the meteor on the earth itself.
I guess what im trying to ask is, Is there a way i could make Shadows in Particle Illusion, or do people use different programs for that part? Please reply, if you have any links or tips on how to achieve this. I love Particle Illusion, I just wish i could figure out how to make it more life like. All the effects rock though :)

Thanks.

-Scott Walker

Return to posts index

adrian808
Re: Making Shadows / Adding Realism to the Effects
on Jan 5, 2006 at 9:07:30 am

To make particles to gain the darkening effect I adjust the visibility and also the colors to black or dark grey. But that's all I can say, i haven

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 5, 2006 at 1:21:16 pm

This is a difficult task in any software, unless you're adding the effects to 3D animation. If it's a 3D animation, the best way to get shadows is to use your 3D packages particle system.

If you're adding effects to video, or any source where you don't have access to the original 3D projects, then I think you won't have much luck with realistic shadows. Suppose that pIllusion was a fully 3D environment with shadow-casting lights and you wanted to add the meteor trail effect to some video you shot. How would you get the shadow to fall over the irregular objects in the video?

It seems to me you'd have to approximate these objects in your 3D app, make them invisible but able to "catch" shadows (is that possible?), then overlay the shadow footage over your video footage.

Is there an easier way?

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

ScottyJ
on Jan 5, 2006 at 6:04:08 pm

Thanks Guys. I will try and let you know what i come up with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]