FORUMS: list search recent posts

pI3 Windows bug warning

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lorence
pI3 Windows bug warning
on Dec 30, 2005 at 2:19:39 pm

Have you ever tried running particleIllusion 3 for Windows and nothing happened, and the solution was to "reset default settings"? This is frustrating for me, so it must be for you too, since it wipes out all of my preferences. For over a year I've been wondering just what setting in the preferences file would cause this issue, and recently Tom Granberg figured it out for me:

If you use an image as the background in the preview window, then close pIllusion, it won't start up again.

You can avoid this error by switching the preview bg to a color before exiting, or if you forget to do this and pI3 won't start, and you don't want to "reset default settings", and you're comfortable editing the Registry, here's what you can do:

Run regedit, and look in the following key (folder):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/wondertouch/particleIllusion_3/particleIllusion/Settings

There is a key (value) called "PreviewImageSel". Edit its value and make it "ffffffff" (that's 8 f's). That's it. pI3 will now run.

Note that editing the Registry can cause BIG problems on your computer, so if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it. Use "reset default settings" instead.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

5th 3lement
Re: pI3 Windows bug warning
on Dec 30, 2005 at 8:32:29 pm

What if PI3 doesn't allow you to import images as backgrounds? Another poster said he had to replace .dll files to correct that problem; but gave no clue of which files to replace. I've tried to d/l the demo and copy those files into my program folder, but to no avail. Any suggesstions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]