FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exploding Cow

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shayder
Exploding Cow
on Nov 30, 2005 at 6:34:55 pm

I am working on some Fx for a short film. I need to blow up a cow. I was wondering if it was possible to do this, convincingly with PI? I was going to do it in Maya, which I own but came across PI demo and I am very intrigued. Before I lay out the cash for this prog, which I will probably do any ways cause it looks pretty handy, I want to know if it will help me in this situation. Which means I may just buy it sooner than later.

The cow explodes because it is infected with some sort of virus. So no fire and smoke explosion here. Just guts and blood spray.

So, can it be done, and if so any tips on doing it? I can make some pretty disgusting sprites of guts and stuff in Maya and export them into photoshop, is there a way to get them then into PI?

Sorry for the newbies questions.

Thanks,

Jack

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Exploding Cow
on Nov 30, 2005 at 6:56:34 pm

Yes you can, although it depends on how quickly you take to creating and/or tweaking emitters. A good first step would be download the demo and check out the docs, particularly the "change shape page" section of Tutorial 3.

You can also email support at wondertouch dot com with more specific questions.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Shayder
on Nov 30, 2005 at 8:27:22 pm

Thanks for your reply Alan,

I am not sure how to prepare the scene in order to begin in PI. I have footage of cows to use, I was going to make a CG cow an composite it but If I could use one from the footage that would be better. There is no budget and time to model a cow and make it look real enough to pass muster.

Would you reccommend isolating the cow in AE first then bringing it into PI and then essentially taking the method used in the disintegrating a human tutorial tweaking it and adding the emitter with the guts sprites?

Will the Wonder touch support line handle questions from a guy who hasn't yet bought it?

Has anyone out there blown up a organic creature? If you have any tips that would be great!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Nov 30, 2005 at 9:07:41 pm

Here's what I would do.

Isolate the cow in AE as you suggest. You don't need the cow itself for the pIllusion emitter, but you need to be able to make the cow "disappear" after it explodes.

For the emitter, I would start with some existing explosion-type emitter. Something fast because the cow will be close to the camera I assume (as opposed to far off in the distance). I might even start with the "dust puff" emitter -- don't remember where it is. Change the color of the dust to red to turn it into a blood mist, then duplicate the particle type. This new particle type would then need the "cow chunks" images imported, probably increase the velocity, play with the size and weight parameters...

There's a similar thing in the "making a frog go poof" tutorial. The AVI link is broken in that tutorial, but you can see the finished movie on our gallery page.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]