FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with high resoltions?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul_Boland
Working with high resoltions?
on Nov 26, 2005 at 7:36:37 pm

I'm quite good working with the tool, but I have a question. I render most of my animations at 400 x 300, which fits comfortably in the work area in PI 3. But recently I've done some work with higher resolution renders, 640 x 480 and 800 x 600. These don't fit in the work area and it doesn't seem to be possible to scroll these large images around so you can see the different parts of them and work on them. What's the key to working with high resolutions, apart from setting your monitor resolion to an ultra high setting?

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
Re: Working with high resoltions?
on Nov 27, 2005 at 4:01:25 am

Two things that will help if you really don't want to change your settings is to have a mouse with a scrollwheel and middle button, so you can zoom in and out quickly with the wheel and scroll around with the middle click.

Another thing that'll get some extra screen space is hiding the library and preview window when you're done adding emitters to the stage. Or you can just hit one of the larger layout view hotkeys, look under View>Load Layout. Alt+2 is the default key to hide the library.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
particleIllusion Resources and tutorial CD
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

Paul_Boland
on Nov 27, 2005 at 5:00:57 pm

Thanks for info. I didn't know about this, thanks.

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Nov 28, 2005 at 1:42:08 am

Elvis,

There seems to be a maximum output size of 927X857 even though I set the preferences and project settings to use a stage size of 1920X1080.

Am I doing something wrong, or is PI not a great solution for use with HD frame sizes.

Steven
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1 / After Effects 6.5 Pro http://www.stevengotz.com
Learning Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 http://www.lynda.com
Contributing Writer, PeachPit Press, Visual QuickPro Guide, Premiere Pro 1.5

Return to posts index

Jon O'Connor
on Nov 28, 2005 at 10:11:49 am

I believe pIllusionRender will allow for high res renders

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Nov 28, 2005 at 11:27:39 am

pI itself can only render out to the maximum size of your stage window. If you drag the stage window's borders out all the way to the edges of your desktop, that should be the maximum it can render.

However, you can render HD resolution projects out by saving your scene and opening it in pIllusionRender, the standalone renderer that is installed alongside pI. Look for it in the same folder where pI is installed. pIllusionRender can render up to resolutions much greater than your desktop size, and its how everyone renders pI effects out to film or HD resolutions. It is a bit slower than rendering in pI, because it isn't hardware accelarated, but it gets the job done.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
Re: Upgrade from SE to 3?
on May 2, 2010 at 7:24:58 am

I notice a couple of years ago you offered PI3 as an upgrade from SE. What's the chances of that deal rolling around again?

Thanks,
Kurt.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Nov 28, 2005 at 7:05:38 pm

The stage size must fit in your stage window at 100% zoom. If your desktop resolution isn't high enough, you'll have to use pIRender. pIRender is included with pI3, but the OS X version of pIRender hasn't been released yet.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Nov 28, 2005 at 8:22:11 pm

[Alan Lorence] "The stage size must fit in your stage window at 100% zoom."

Aha!!! That's the answer I was looking for. So it is off to understand pIRender I go.

Thanks.

Steven

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Nov 28, 2005 at 9:24:30 pm

OK. Got it. Worked great. Slow as can be, but it worked. I checked the image size in Photoshop and it was as desired. And the images look fine. A perfect 1920X1080.

Steven

Return to posts index

PaulEssex
on Dec 2, 2005 at 1:21:19 pm

Thanks for posting this question - I was about to ask exactly this.. Can I ask someone to just clarify a couple of points:

If I am working with a large image, I select 'zoom' in the drop down menu from 'View' and then use the scrollwheel to fit the whole imagine within the work space. Is that right, and will that effect the size of the render?

If I want to render very large, as I have PI3, should the additioinal render programme have been automatically installed somewhere on my PC?

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Return to posts index

Elvis Deane
on Dec 2, 2005 at 7:11:58 pm

If I am working with a large image, I select 'zoom' in the drop down menu from 'View' and then use the scrollwheel to fit the whole imagine within the work space. Is that right, and will that effect the size of the render?
The Z key or the scrollwheel zoom, the S key or the middle mouse button scroll. It won't effect the size of your render, as long as you Zoom back out before you hit the render button (you can right-click and select Reset Scroll and Zoom to do this) or just make sure the Zoom size in the Output Settings is set to 100%.

If I want to render very large, as I have PI3, should the additioinal render programme have been automatically installed somewhere on my PC?
It should be found in the same folder where pI3 is installed. Its icon is the same as the pI one, but with the letter R in its center.

--
Elvis Deane!
The particleIllusion FAQ
Astounding Adventures

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Dec 2, 2005 at 7:17:10 pm

If you're on a Mac, pIllusionRender has not been released yet. Soon -- before the end of Dec., but hopefully in 2 weeks.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]