FORUMS: list search recent posts

PI No longer works

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Vane
PI No longer works
on Nov 21, 2005 at 10:43:28 am

I downloaded PI when I bought it. This version expired.

I couldn't find a field to fill in my registration code, so I decided to install the CD version.
I didn't de-install the downloaded version first.

After I installed the CD version, I filled in the codes.

Now PI isn't working any more and I really need it right now !!!
PI starts very slow, the windows build up only partially, non of the buttons are active, after a while PI stops itself telling me my work is lost if I were in the middle of something.

Please help me really soon !!!

Return to posts index

Geoff Vane
Re: PI No longer works
on Nov 21, 2005 at 4:30:38 pm

I have found the cause.

My attempt to push an emitter to the memory limits, has resulted in an emitter which disturbs PI completely. By renaming it, PI could get over this bump and startup correct again.

A question emerges: How can I get rid of a buggy emitter in a library? I now did this with the library manager with the particles disabled and I was very lucky no crash occured. Is this the best way to do it?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Nov 21, 2005 at 5:13:00 pm

After reading your other post too, it sounds like you have an emitter that is creating a HUGE number of particles. The best way to deal with it is either in the library manager or the emitter properties dialog -- both places where you can turn off preview of the particles.

If you know which emitter it is, the easiest way (I think) is to select a different emitter in the library window (but from the same library that contains the "bad" emitter) then open the props dlg for the library (double-click a non-bad emitter, or r-click and "properties").

Then disable the preview in the props dlg, select the "bad" emitter, select the "number" graph and set its value to something really low -- like 1. Remember that there are several hierarchy layers, so maake sure you modify the emitter "number" value and not just the particle type value.

I'm guessing this is an area emitter -- they can create some huge number of particles since the area of the emitter has an effect on the number of particles too.

Version 3.5 will have some way to deal with this problem, since even I sometimes accidentally create an emitter with way too many particles, and everything.... just .... comes... to... a..... stop.....

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

Geoff Vane
on Nov 22, 2005 at 9:49:01 am

Thanks for the standard method.

I've created an emitter from hell.
It contained a full color avi of 2 minutes.
That will mess up things quite nicely.
I have deleted it now.

Hence my question how to go to the limit of PI, with some calculations to avoid serious problems.

I was thinking, working with software rendering from the start, could that give more room for my evil experiment?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Nov 22, 2005 at 2:07:49 pm

You're in unchartered waters, so it's all experimentation. I personally would NEVER consider using a 2-minute (3600 frame) sequence for a particle type. Do you really need it to be that long?

Can you describe in more detail what the end result is that you want? What is the final output resolution, how large (approximately) will the particles be, how long is the final rendering clip going to be? etc.

Alan.
wondertouch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]